aberdeen-music

Steve Earle Show Podcasts

Guest DustyDeviada

Guest DustyDeviada

I've been listening to podcasts of the Steve Earle radio show, and they are fantastic.

http://www.steveearle.net/radio/

Basically, the format is that he has a different guest on each week playing their favourite records. Invariably however the highlights are the chat between tracks.

Just listened to the one with Les Paul, which was awesome, but some other favourites were the shows with Emmylou Harris, Rodney Crowell and Chuck D.

Unfortunately the radio station that broadcasts the show has just gone bankrupt, so it looks like there may be no new episodes. :(

Guest DustyDeviada
Steve Earle is God-like! Anyone read his biography "The life and near death of...."?

It is incredible how fucked up he really got on smack and crack in the early 90's!

A few good tales in that book.

Yep, great book. Kind of amazing that he was living on the streets and in crack dens.

On the radio show he says stuff like "I missed Uncle Tupelo when they came out because I was in jail." :up:

Guest DustyDeviada
And more amazing he came out the other side and has been making some of his best music since his recovery - politically sharp too!

I think he's the most consistant artist working today. Both Jerusalem and The Revolution Starts Now are amazing albums.

I think he's the most consistant artist working today. Both Jerusalem and The Revolution Starts Now are amazing albums.

I love his covers album "sidetracks" - features Sheryl Crow, Abbie Hoffman, Tim O'Brien, and Darrell Scott! Great version of Nirvanas Breed too.

But I agree J and RSN are amazing!! "People say you're cold but i think you're HOT!"

Guest DustyDeviada
I love his covers album "sidetracks" - features Sheryl Crow, Abbie Hoffman, Tim O'Brien, and Darrell Scott! Great version of Nirvanas Breed too.

Being pedantic - not strictly a covers album, lots of Earle originals on there too. 8-) I actually didn't like the cover of Breed - I thought it was pretty similar to the original and therefore a bit pointless.

The Revolution Starts Now is one of my favourite albums ever, not a duff track on it.

Yes. As I told you while I was "refreshed" on monday night: Springsteen = God! :up:

A fine Springsteen Missionary you are! Nice :up: A nae bad cover of State Trooper that Earle does.

RSN is indeed a quality album start to finish. Fuck the FCC, Fuck the FBI, Fuck the CIA.....

The cover of Breed is too similar to the original. I was surprised when I heard it was Earle though.

Speaking of consistancy - I think that Thea Gilmore is the most consistant female artist around at the moment, an album a year for 6 years or so!

Never caught her live tho :down:

Any fans?

Consistent average female singer songwriting blandness?! ;)

Again, one good thing she did was a cover of Springsteen's "Cover Me".

She took it literally. :laughing:

Can't escape the boss......

Being pedantic - not strictly a covers album, lots of Earle originals on there too. 8-) I actually didn't like the cover of Breed - I thought it was pretty similar to the original and therefore a bit pointless.

The Revolution Starts Now is one of my favourite albums ever, not a duff track on it.

I dunno about warrior, but other than that yes, it's a crackin album.

In fact, there isn't an earle album i can't listen to start to finish.

He's also one of the most consistant live acts i've ever seen. 12 times i've seen him now and he's been superb at every single one.

Guest DustyDeviada

I think Warrior is a great track.

Would love to see him live. Ironically when he came to Aberdeen for the first time in 2003 I was going to Texas for the first time. Boo.

I think Warrior is a great track.

Would love to see him live. Ironically when he came to Aberdeen for the first time in 2003 I was going to Texas for the first time. Boo.

Doh! gutted! I never know SE was in Aberdeen, :down: :down:

must have been the same time he played solo acoustic in Shetland and visited The Lounge Bar afterwards (for the session!) and it was the first time he had been in a pub in years!

suppose I didnt really get into him until Sept 04 when I supported his sister Stacy in Shetland - she is very good also!

I didn't like Warrior to begin with but now I love it!

Fantastic lyrics!

This is the best time of the day—the dawn

The final cleansing breath unsullied yet

By acrid fume or death’s cacophony

The rank refuse of unchained ambition

And pray, deny me not but know me now,

Your faithful retainer stands resolute

To serve his liege lord without recompense

Perchance to fall and perish namelessly

No flag-draped bier or muffled drum to set

The cadence for a final dress parade

But it was not always thus—remember?

Once you worshipped me and named me a god

In many tongues and made offering lest

I exact too terrible a tribute

Take heed for I am weary, ancient

And decrepit now and my time grows short

There are no honorable frays to join

Only mean death dealt out in dibs and dabs

Or horror unleashed from across oceans

Assail me not with noble policy

For I care not at all for platitude

And surrender such tedious detail

To greater minds than mine and nimbler tongues

Singular in their purpose and resolve

And presuming to speak for everyman

Oh, for another time, a distant field

And there a mortal warrior’s lonely grave

But duty charges me remain until

The end the last battle of the last war

Until that ‘morrow render unto me

That which is mine my stipend well deserved

The fairest flower of your progeny

Your sons, your daughters your hopes and your dreams

The cruel consequence of your conceit

Guest DustyDeviada

Assail me not with noble policy

For I care not at all for platitude

That's my favourite bit. The track makes me think of The Doors. Certainly a long way from Guitar Town.

Guest DustyDeviada
while i love The Revolution Starts NOW, i think Jerusalem is a far better album (Amerika V.6.0, John Walker's Blues, Conspiracy Theory, Ashes to Ashes and Jerusalem are just incredible).

Each to their own. Those are all great songs, but there are a few tracks on Jerusalem that aren't up there with his best work IMO (The Kind, The Truth, Go Amanda, Shadowland), but every track's a gem on TRSN (again just my opinion).

You can watch a cool acoustic Steve Earle set here:

http://www.rte.ie/tv/othervoices/20050424otherv.html