aberdeen-music

Star Wars DVD's - Help Needed

huntedbyafreak

Right, I've been looking through all sorts of weird and wonderful reviews of the original Star Wars trilogy on Dvd, but I really am none the wiser. Can anyone advise at all? I'm looking for as close to the original cinema release as possible. ESPECIALLY no altered shots. I can handle all of the sound and picture quality being redone, but I hate the idea of actual new footage. I have noticed that the new release has the original cinematic release with absolutely nothing done to it, but is it any good at all? Is it ok sound and picture quality? If anyone has a copy of this or the DVD boxsets, please let me know what you think of them.

Cheers.

Right, I've been looking through all sorts of weird and wonderful reviews of the original Star Wars trilogy on Dvd, but I really am none the wiser. Can anyone advise at all? I'm looking for as close to the original cinema release as possible. ESPECIALLY no altered shots. I can handle all of the sound and picture quality being redone, but I hate the idea of actual new footage. I have noticed that the new release has the original cinematic release with absolutely nothing done to it, but is it any good at all? Is it ok sound and picture quality? If anyone has a copy of this or the DVD boxsets, please let me know what you think of them.

Cheers.

It's good quality, well worth it if you want the originals.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest DustyDeviada

The problem with these "new" releases of the originals is that they are not anamorphic.

Without getting into the technicalities of it, if you are watching them on a 4:3 telly you won't notice any difference. If you watch them on a widescreen telly however there will be problems.

Put simply, on a widescreen telly the 2004 DVDs look like this:

anamorphic.jpg

The new, non-messed about with DVDs will look like this:

letterbox.jpg

You could however use the zoom feature on the telly to get rid of the black bars at the side, but you would still end up with bigger than normal black bars at the top and bottom of the picture.

The problem with these "new" releases of the originals is that they are not anamorphic.

Without getting into the technicalities of it, if you are watching them on a 4:3 telly you won't notice any difference. If you watch them on a widescreen telly however there will be problems.

Put simply, on a widescreen telly the 2004 DVDs look like this:

anamorphic.jpg

The new, non-messed about with DVDs will look like this:

letterbox.jpg

You could however use the zoom feature on the telly to get rid of the black bars at the side, but you would still end up with bigger than normal black bars at the top and bottom of the picture.

Are the 2004 releases the Special Editions though?

Guest DustyDeviada
Are the 2004 releases the Special Editions though?

Yes, so it's a tough choice. Have the 2004 "special" editions with all the extra crap, or have the "new" DVDs that will look a bit crappy.