aberdeen-music

Eq?

Jimmygoodein

can someone please explain to me how a complicated Equaliser works. Im talking about the one that you get on some amps, you get in windows media player and on some Cd players.

I have one on my bass amp but dont really have any idead what each Lever does? Like what do you do to make it bassier or treblier?

hmm, if you understand what im trying to say here can you help me out?

Guest texjamm

What sort of amp are you talking about? The eq may be parametric - this means that you have 2 knobs / sliders for each bass, mid and treble. One of the knobs controls the frequency you want to boost / cut and the other controls the amount of boost / cut thats applied.

Mike

an eq cuts and boosts all the different frequencys of the sound, so you can increase bass frequencys, or cut mids, or whatever you like.

the one in windows media player has a range on sliders, each one controls a small part of the signal, the bass ones are on the left, treble on the right. the best way to work out what they do is to play about with them, try sticking the 5 on the left to full, and play some music, you will hear lots of bass in the sound, not completely cut them, the sound will be very thin and there will be no bass at all, try it for different sliders and see what happens (note, some music will have more affect on different frequencys, depending on how much of those frequencys there are in the music)

if you own a guitar or bass (and amp) just play about with the controls and see what you get

David

Originally posted by texjamm:

What sort of amp are you talking about? The eq may be parametric - this means that you have 2 knobs / sliders for each bass, mid and treble. One of the knobs controls the frequency you want to boost / cut and the other controls the amount of boost / cut thats applied.

Mike

That's not a parametric eq. It's a common misconception but a parametric eq requires a Q control as well. What you've described is a sweep filter. These are also sometimes called semi-parametric but I would reserve that term for when you don't have full Q control, just a switch.

Q being a measure of the resonant properties of a filter. In other words, the higher the Q, the more resonant the filter and the narrower the range of frequencies that are allowed to pass.

Originally posted by Ibid:

Q being a measure of the resonant properties of a filter. In other words, the higher the Q, the more resonant the filter and the narrower the range of frequencies that are allowed to pass.

I prefer to think of it simply as bandwidth. I know resonance is a term frequently used but it only really happens with high Q values.

Indeed. In musical terms, it's easier to think in bandwidth. My original dealings with Q were in connection with radar so I tend to still think in those terms even though I'm now a hippy sound engineer!

Originally posted by soundian:

I prefer to think of it simply as bandwidth. I know resonance is a term frequently used but it only really happens with high Q values.

Call it bandwidth in sound engineering exams or NVQs and you get it wrong though. It's better to think of it as resonance when calculating resonant frequency, harmonics, nodes and anti-nodes and when calculating starting transients in tuning speaker cabs.

Originally posted by Ibid:

Call it bandwidth in sound engineering exams or NVQs and you get it wrong though. It's better to think of it as resonance when calculating resonant frequency, harmonics, nodes and anti-nodes and when calculating starting transients in tuning speaker cabs.

I agree with that too ;)