aberdeen-music

Amp techs in Scotland

Guest MKII

Guest Gasss

I had a PTP valve amp serviced by a TV repair shop in Inverbervie called Gerry K. No idea if it's still there. The guy did a good job but took 3 months. I haven't had any good experiences with music shop techs in Aberdeen or with the "UKs largest chain" *cough*. Recently I've been looking to get my amps serviced by Matamp.

Guest lime ruined my life

my burman was serviced by matamp immediately before i bought it, they hooked it up to a big test rig and gave the owner at the time the chance to watch and get the test results directly. It was re-valved and was working fine/had no problems when i got it, which is pretty good considering the age, i think.

Guest MKII
my burman was serviced by matamp immediately before i bought it' date=' they hooked it up to a big test rig and gave the owner at the time the chance to watch and get the test results directly. It was re-valved and was working fine/had no problems when i got it, which is pretty good considering the age, i think.[/quote']

matamp sound like they are the bestest of the best!!!

Guest lime ruined my life
matamp sound like they are the bestest of the best!!!

it's proabbly pure ignorance but i can't think of anywhere else. if they'll look at your ampthere's nowhere i'd spend a heap of money to get it serviced and actually trust that it's worth the money. I havn't dealt with them directly but they have Experience + knowledge + a real interest in amps and customer service.

By contrast i wouldn't trust anyone at bruce millars to know much more about amps than i do! I wouldnt put it passed them to give the pots a quick once over with cleaner, and look at changing valves. they might even refuse to even look at anything "vintage". better still, they'll take your money to look at it then tell you it's too old to fix.

Here's some words of wisdom I received last month.

I have 2 early 60's Vox AC30's. I reckoned it was time for them to have a service, so I thought I would call the company and ask for any pointers on what was the best way to go about getting these lovely vintage amps checked over and serviced. The reply

wait for it

Sell them and buy a new one!

So does this blow the whole vintage myth out of the water. Are we looking for something that's not there? I could be wrong but all those new amps like Line 6 etc and the multi fx such as Boss GT series have settings for 'Brit Classic' 'Twin sparkle' etc. I can't remember the last time a saw a setting for 'Bandit Country' or '51st ValveState'

So why is someone working in the parent company telling me to sale my vintage stuff and buy new?????

BTW. Matamp are great. I am at present looking at selling one of my spare, hardly used legs to get one.... 1224 c/w 2x12 cab

The leg in question is well gigged and has a well worn in feel to it.

Don't be fooled by those bootleg copies.

I'd never consider putting in valuable vintage gear to our local music shops!!!

On its way to me now... a 1969 6 channel Laney super pa and, just about on its way, a rare 1967, in near mint condition, Triumph/Vox solid state head with fuzz and tremolo etc.

:up:

Guest DustyDeviada

Ha ha ha ha ha!

I can't believe Vox tried that, but your reaction ("Does this one statement from someone at Vox who has a vested interest in trying to sell as many brand new amps as possible blow the vintage myth out of the water?") demonstrates that it's worth them chancing their arm as some people are bound to fall for it.

Aren't all the AC30s made in China now? Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, I hear they're good amps.

Ha ha ha ha ha!

I can't believe Vox tried that' date=' but your reaction ("Does this one statement from someone at Vox who has a vested interest in trying to sell as many brand new amps as possible blow the vintage myth out of the water?") demonstrates that it's worth them chancing their arm as some people are bound to fall for it.

Aren't all the AC30s made in China now? Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, I hear they're good amps.[/quote']

Ho Ho Ho!!

My reaction was not one of doubt as to wether I should sell my amps because new is better etc. However, I was taken aback somewhat by the fool on the other end of the phone whose pearls of wisdom I was having to endure.

Of coarse we have all heard stories about folk selling vintage stuff because it's old and looking scruffy etc. I'm not one of those people. However, I do think that people get hung up on vintage stuff at times.

Yes, I think Vox are made in China know. Also the Blue speakers are made there.

Guest Gasss

The reviews I've read all suggest that the Chinese made Custom Classic Vox amps are the best production models since the early JMI era. Certainly better than the UK made Korg reissues that preceeded them.

I bit the bullet due to reliability issues and sold my vintage valve stuff to get a modern power switching, channel switching amp. In an ideal world I would have a room full of old amps for every occasion and a tech on hand to service them, but...

I've not seen any reviews yet of the Chinese ones. I like the sound of my ones, but it's a very basic amp (like all vintage ones) so you either like it or you don't.

I wish I still had my Bluesbreaker RI that was a great amp.

I've given up on the switching amps.....too much going on for me to cope with;)

The plexi palace forum is full of Vox CC tales of woe, there seems to be a new problem posted every day, but people are also praising them for their sound.