aberdeen-music

Anyone Had a go at building an instrument?

I want to give it a shot! Anyone out there with some experience got some tips or can give me some information on someone with a workshop etc. I've been thinking of getting into this for some time now and it's about time i actually did something about it!

I'm having a bass built for me by a great luthier in America and although i've nearly settled on the specs for it i still wish it could be a fretted 4 string and 6 string fretless in one!:down:

Well im sticking to the fretted 4 from him but i figure in time i could build my own 6/7/8 string basses! (I have no control over my desire for extended range basses)

So if anyone has any experience in this field please give me any help on the following:

Location -I don't mind paying for use of a workshop

Tools - I have a rough idea of what i'll need

Sources For wood- I can't find any british sources, two great american ones however! www.walnutwoods.net and www.exoticwoodbrokers.com are amazing

Useful/Required reading

and any other helpful tips to keep me from cutting fingers off.

Anyone else interested in starting up? It would probably be more interesting having a couple of people carving up too and would allow us to save a wee bit each on space, tool and materials etc.

cheers

Guest b-bert

i had planned to build a guitar this summer but have discovered i will have no time or money so that plan has been binned.

someone on these boards had a thread on a telecaster if you want to search for it.

They guys on this forum know alot, it includes a few expert luthiers they might be able to answer some of your questions :-

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Ah the UG, ive been a memeber there since 2004. Fantastic site.

Building a guitar from scratch, if your a noob, is a nightmare. The build threads on UG should open your eyes to it.

I build composite guitars, random parts stuck together!!!

Heres one i made earlier (in the year)

14000095626.jpg

Guest texjamm

Having a bass built? Nice.....who's making it, what sort of spec, pickups, woods etc, etc. Sorry I'm just a nosey bass nut!!

As far as making one, I've looked at doing such a thing several times. When I priced up buying good woods, pickups, hardware, tools etc. it wasn't that great a saving on getting someone else doing one for me. Plus the fact that I would have to make probably at least four to get it right! The big advantage is at the end of your build you can say "I made this" and hopefully you've got your ultimate bass.

If you do decide to build one I for one would be interested to see updates on the forum (with photos!) of how you are doing. I'm sure many others would be as well. When the guy who made the Telecaster started his thread it was well populated.

Cheers

Thanks for the links guys, Muchos help.

My bass is being built by a Luthier I know over in America called Karl Thompson(not Carl Thomspon,though he is brillaint too).

It's a 4 string double cut 34" neck scale

Etimoe Body

Buckeyeburl bookmatched top and bottom

see link belowfor the peice im using

http://walnutwoods.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NW&Product_Code=6-10-1h&Category_Code=BBIW

5 peice neck with side veneers :wenge veneer, maple,wenge,bubinga,wenge,maple, wenge veneer

Aint finalised my fretboard wood probably good ol' ebony.

ebody accent lines

bookmatched headstock

Nordstrand signature dual coil pickups

Aguilar 3 band preamp

controls: N-pu volume, B-pu volume,Mid selector, Passive/active switch, passive tone,

3 Eq knobs

Thg Ebony domed knobs (possibly with the buckeye on top)

Gotoh Tuners

Hipshot B-sytle bridge

Dunlop Strap locks

The body will use a clear matte lacquer finsh

neck finish will be Tung Oil

I still aint finalised my desired specs for my neck dimensions etc

string spacing will probably be 18mm

Inalys i still aint sure on either..im gonna design something interesting

I built a guitar from ash a few months ago - bought a fender neck from a friend for 25 :) and built the body. I got the wood from this place:

http://www.scottish-hardwoods.com/

It's about 45miles north of aberdeen, near banff, but i see they have a mail order service.

I went and bought another couple of sheets of ash from the guy a couple of days ago. I just have to decide on a shape now.

Pete