aberdeen-music

V-Amp 2 (and Pro)

Paulscoconutass

i own one, and know quite a few people that own them, (2, pro, and the 1x12 combo) and pretty much everythign ive heard has been excellent

for computer recording they are great, havent tried one live but again, i know of people who have done this regularly and its worked great. plug it into the pa and get all your sound through the monitors (not an onstage amp)

i dont really use mine much, as i prefer to use my 'real' amp, but it does sound excellent (i need some proper speakers though)

David

Originally posted by David:

for computer recording they are great, havent tried one live but again, i know of people who have done this regularly and its worked great. plug it into the pa and get all your sound through the monitors (not an onstage amp)

What if the venue doesn't have good monitors? I've heard enough horror stories about venues with little or no monitoring that I would never be comfortable without an amp.

I also find that the levels on the patches varies wildly when I DI these things. I don't know why, maybe the levels have been set on headphones?

Originally posted by soundian:

What if the venue doesn't have good monitors? I've heard enough horror stories about venues with little or no monitoring that I would never be comfortable without an amp.

I also find that the levels on the patches varies wildly when I DI these things. I don't know why, maybe the levels have been set on headphones?

for a venue without decent monitors or pa a vamp would be useless. so one would be useless in somewhere like drakes that mainly runs on stage volume. while would work fine in lava...

the volume issue will probably be down to the user not settingthe volumes on the different patches correctly. to get a nice clean sound, you wont get nowhere near the volume you can when using a heavily distorted sound, so you cant just stick the volume control on each patch the same and have them set right, you need to switch between them editing the volumes to get them set equal

David

Originally posted by Paulscoconutass:

I was informed that it would be cool to play it through a Keyboard amp???

KX1200_medium.jpg

It would probably reduce the effect that the amp tone would have on it, and i assume it could go loud enough for live venues.... also saves having to rely on the venue having a good p.a.

You were informed correctly. Keyboard amps are pretty much mini PAs and are designed NOT to shape the sound. Guitar amps have to cos guitars sound shit without an amp (or an amp sim).

I've never figured why people use guitar amp sims through guitar amps.

At the end of the day, playing live is much more about your stage presence and your songs than the small difference one of these things will make to the sound of one instrument. It may make your sound slightly better live (room acoustics, band dynamics etc will kill most of the perceived improvements) but it won't make people like your band any better.

Multi-effect pedals are more trouble than they're worth IMHO, unless they're in the hands of someone who understands how a band sound works, not just one instrument. I always get more unexpected volume jumps/drops with a multi-FX pedal user than someone with 10-20 seperates.

Originally posted by Paulscoconutass:

The only thing i'm worried about is that it might reduce the things that make an amp an amp, as i dont think i'll be able to test out a 'combo' like this? Wandering about things like feedback, i'm also sure that you can change the volume and save the patches??..

As David said, you can set the levels on each patch, but my point is most people don't seem to bother.

The amp sims, if they work properly, should simulate feedback as well otherwise it's not really simulating the amp. I think they're a handy tool in a home recording studio where loud amps may not be possible but pretty redundant live unless you had in-ears and no need for a monitor/amp. I could see the point then.