aberdeen-music

Sport/Art

Entertainment is a form of art. And Art is a form of Entertainment

Art is a form of entertainment' date=' but entertainment isn't a form of art.

technically yes

I seriously ask anyone seriously - without their philosophical hat but with their common sense bunnet on - to tell me Eastenders is art. You have to have boundries otherwise everything can be classed as art, which is just silly.

Does it not?

NO!

Here is a definition for art;

art1 (rt) pronunciation

n.

1. Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.

1. The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.

2. The study of these activities.

3. The product of these activities; human works of beauty considered as a group.

3. High quality of conception or execution, as found in works of beauty; aesthetic value.

4. A field or category of art, such as music, ballet, or literature.

5. A nonscientific branch of learning; one of the liberal arts.

1. A system of principles and methods employed in the performance of a set of activities: the art of building.

2. A trade or craft that applies such a system of principles and methods: the art of the lexicographer.

1. Skill that is attained by study, practice, or observation: the art of the baker; the blacksmith's art.

2. Skill arising from the exercise of intuitive faculties: Self-criticism is an art not many are qualified to practice (Joyce Carol Oates).

1. arts Artful devices, stratagems, and tricks.

2. Artful contrivance; cunning.

9. Printing. Illustrative material.

Football, nor Eastenders, does not come in to it. Creating beauty for the sake of beauty; somehow I don't think Pat Butcher or Martin Keown are particularly brilliant exponents of that.

1. Skill that is attained by study, practice, or observation: the art of the baker; the blacksmith's art.

Playing football is a skill obtained from alot of practise, study and observation. Footballers which have studied their skill to a great extent get paid alot for it.

Acting is a skill obtained from alot of practise, study and observation. Maybe the actors in Eastenders are not the greatest of actors but I would still consider them art. Also as you stated, Art is a form of entertainment, we are entertained by the art of the actors in Eastenders.

1. A system of principles and methods employed in the performance of a set of activities: the art of building.

footballers employ certain methods to perform their sport - or art. Which in turn entertains us. If footballers are practising their methods on the pitch, surely they are creating art?

1. Skill that is attained by study' date=' practice, or observation: the art of the baker; the blacksmith's art.

Playing football is a skill obtained from alot of practise, study and observation. Footballers which have studied their skill to a great extent get paid alot for it.

Acting is a skill obtained from alot of practise, study and observation. Maybe the actors in Eastenders are not the greatest of actors but I would still consider them art. Also as you stated, Art is a form of entertainment, we are entertained by the art of the actors in Eastenders.

footballers employ certain methods to perform their sport - or art. Which in turn entertains us. If footballers are practising their methods on the pitch, surely they are creating art?[/quote']

You are not wearing your common sense bunnet! When they say there is an art to eating a fajita without spilling any of that glorious salsa tainted filling, it doesn't mean it is ART! I am the master of eating mexican with minimum fuss, but I do not claim to be a fuss, or enter myself into the Turner prize every time I eat a burrito. Maybe I should if you were a judge. There may be an art to dribbling the ball etc, but FOOTBALL IS NOT ART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

e.g

Why dont we call it competative tennis?

Tennis is a competitive sport. Dancing is not normally competitive....

Oh fuckit....who cares....I dont think everything that involves physical activity is a sport!

Heres another point of view....

Do you think dancing was cocieved as a sport?

thats pretty insane stuff. You thought about taking it to the next extreme. Become a shredder of tha burrito? Maybe chicken aswell? and more salsa.

Oh yeah, I'm aiming to be the Yngwiwiwijweeieieiei Malmsteen of mexican snacks. In fact, I regularly scallop my tortillas, makes for faster eating and greater hold. I want to do for fillings what Van Halen did for tapping.

Do you think dancing was cocieved as a sport?

No

Thinking back in my head to the earliest kind of dancing I can imagine, I think dancing was invented by fit Roman women to arouse men in Togas whilst they gorged themselves on some sort of ancient colonial burrito.

No

Thinking back in my head to the earliest kind of dancing I can imagine' date=' I think dancing was invented by fit Roman women to arouse men in Togas whilst they gorged themselves on some sort of ancient colonial burrito.[/quote']

Isnt that why shredding was invented? Will there be any burittos left for those guys if you sweep them all?

Art is a form of entertainment' date=' but entertainment isn't a form of art.

[/quote']

Wrong

[QOUTE=weaver]

I seriously ask anyone seriously - without their philosophical hat but with their common sense bunnet on - to tell me Eastenders is art. You have to have boundries otherwise everything can be classed as art, which is just silly.

Because there is a creativity in acting, there is a creativity in writing. Eastenders is a form of art, in similar vein to cinema. I'm not saying its any great form of art, its gutter trash art, but still an artform.

NO!

Here is a definition for art;

art1 (rt) pronunciation

n.

1. Human effort to imitate' date=' supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.

1. The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.

2. The study of these activities.

3. The product of these activities; human works of beauty considered as a group.

3. High quality of conception or execution, as found in works of beauty; aesthetic value.

4. A field or category of art, such as music, ballet, or literature.

5. A nonscientific branch of learning; one of the liberal arts.

2. A trade or craft that applies such a system of principles and methods: the art of the lexicographer.

2. Skill arising from the exercise of intuitive faculties: Self-criticism is an art not many are qualified to practice (Joyce Carol Oates).

1. arts Artful devices, stratagems, and tricks.

2. Artful contrivance; cunning.

9. Printing. Illustrative material.

Football, nor Eastenders, does not come in to it. Creating beauty for the sake of beauty; somehow I don't think Pat Butcher or Martin Keown are particularly brilliant exponents of that.[/quote']

The skill shown in a well executed game of football is comparable to art, it is AN art. Art is everywhere, can be applied to many different thing depending on the context. Using a dictionary definition is pretty pointless as there is a school in contemporary art theory which is all about breaking the definition, changing what is art.

Maybe you could have your burrito and claim it is art, it is possible. Martin Creed's entry to the turner prize consisted of a piece of blu tac on a wall. There's blue tac on my wall, does that make it art? Yes, if I want it to be art it is art.

As for Creating beauty for the sake of beauty? If you think that is what art is you have no idea.

Wrong

The skill shown in a well executed game of football is comparable to art' date=' it is AN art. Art is everywhere, can be applied to many different thing depending on the context. Using a dictionary definition is pretty pointless as there is a school in contemporary art theory which is all about breaking the definition, changing what is art.

Maybe you could have your burrito and claim it is art, it is possible. Martin Creed's entry to the turner prize consisted of a piece of blu tac on a wall. There's blue tac on my wall, does that make it art? Yes, if I want it to be art it is art.

As for Creating beauty for the sake of beauty? If you think that is what art is you have no idea.[/quote']

Yes my buritto is art, as are my socks, and my telephone, and the grass outside, and the hills, and the oxygen I breathe and the bird song I hear, and the stars above, and the earth under my feet, the whole WORLD IS ART yes I see it now, the universe is actually just art pure and simple. Oh hang on, no it's not. You have to have boundries to art otherwise it's a totally pointless term. And my buritto is boundary.