aberdeen-music

Exile Studios Vs Captain Toms

PaulDW

Well I've heard a fantastic new engineer/producer is in town....worked with the likes of Supergrass, Ocean Colour Scene, Muse, Idlewild, Stiff Little Fingers, The Bluetones, Terrorvision, King Adora to name a few. If you want fantastic results using any system then drop this guy a line...has reasonable rates too.

(Mark Thomas 07900 198154, email: markthomasaudio@hotmail.com)

RW

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guessed right....I'm Ruth, his girlfriend, hence RW....shouldn't really use his log in but I thought I'd big him up a bit cos he's moved up to Scotland (for me!) but has no work at the moment..... ;-(

Need any live engineering/recording, studio enginering/producing/mastering...he's your man!

I feel I should comment, having recorded at the mill and recently at Exile.

Basically after failing to get any home recording 'finished' over the last year because I was never happy (WARNING: Home recording will ruin your social life and turn you in to a nutter), I wanted someone else to be responsible for the finished product, and so we went to Exile on recommendation from Josephine (who recorded an EXCELLENT l.p. there in quicksmart time)

Mark was amazing as a producer and managed to get results out of a pair of fairly unconfident vocalists... for a bargain price as well. We will be going back to record some more songs with him as soon as they are 'ready'. 3 songs = 3 days recodring/mixing time in total I think.

The Mill are pretty much pro musos, but will be double or triple the price of Exile. For my money I wouldn't think about going back to the Mill unlkess I needed a string section or something!

Toms I have not tried yet, so cannot comment, but I'm sure it'll be a good atmos as he's a nice guy.

Originally posted by MTA:

Well I've heard a fantastic new engineer/producer is in town....worked with the likes of Supergrass, Ocean Colour Scene, Muse, Idlewild, Stiff Little Fingers, The Bluetones, Terrorvision, King Adora to name a few. If you want fantastic results using any system then drop this guy a line...has reasonable rates too.

(Mark Thomas 07900 198154, email: markthomasaudio@hotmail.com)

RW

I spoke to him yesterday for about 3 hours (I'm partly responsible for the mess he must have come home in - sorry LOL) and this guy REALLY knows his stuff. I mean REALLY REALLY knows his stuff. It was possibly the most educational 3 hours of my sound engineering life.

And you won't hear me say that about an engineer very often...

He was in the bar with Mark from Exile, so I imagine he has access to a studio. If I were you I'd go for it while the going is good.

Flash