aberdeen-music

The Flaming Lips ~ At War with the Mystics

Guest bluesxman

It's OK, only listened to it once so maybe needs time to sink in a bit. But then I bought The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi... albums and haven't quite established what all the fuss is about, they are good but not THAT good IMO.

I love it. Nothing else is getting near my cd player as a result. Mostly late nite lazy listening. :gringo: I like it better than Yoshimi overall, althouigh theres nothing quite as immense as ''Fight Test'' or ''Do you realise?'' on it.

Im seriously underwhelmed by the YeahYeahYeahs album tho.....what the fuck happened there?

Im seriously underwhelmed by the YeahYeahYeahs album tho.....what the fuck happened there?

I think that it's a better record than fever to tell... I get the impression from it that they sat down and wrote songs for the album instead of just recording the songs that they used in their live set.

Guest bluesxman

I think it's great, loved it on first listen, a bit poppier than Fever To Tell perhaps but not in a bad way at all.

I think the yeah yeah yeahs album is great.

But I don't think I'll be buying the new flaming lips one. I got the last 2, I liked soft bulletin although I rarely listen to it anymore and the same goes for yoshimi. They're good but I don't really think they're as amazing as they're made out to be to be honest

Im out of synch with the majority on the YYYS album by the looks of it......

Fever To Tell is just such a special, dirty, brutal and unhinged record. I love the live feel to it. The new one sounds ok really but its quite erm, normal and ordinary. Id expected Fever to Tell with knobs on. Not a glossy radio freindly album with a couple of obvious hit singles on it. Its like what happened to PJ Harvey's style after the awesome ''Rid Of Me'' album. The next few albums just got more and more like regular safe indie records as they tried to market her for wider audiences, which imo is a waste of talent and probably why she never really reached her true potential. Blah Blah....

Anyway dont get me wrong, The YYYs are still up there as one of the best bands of now imo, and one slightly disappointing album (to me at least) dosent alter my sick adoration of Karen O!

For info: Flaming Lips were finally ejected from the Betamax Sound System yesterday in favour of the old fave Nouvelle Vague* album and the new Hed Kandi Twisted Disco comp. The Lips are now relegated to in-car entertainment.

*this is classic and everyone should own it if they dont already if only for the fantastic cover versions of Too drunk to Fuck (Dead Kennedys) and Pssyche (Killing Joke).