aberdeen-music

Auditions at Strathcyde?

Sam 45

Are you talking about a music course? I'm familiar with the auditions at the jewel and esk college near Edinburgh, modern musicianship course. Auditions are pretty informal. They have a chat with you, then get you to give your chosen instrument a bash, asking about your influences etc. That course is pretty varied and includes thing like music law and marketing etc. Is it a course similar to that?

I used to know the head tutor guy there - JoJo Gould, he used to be involved with Nemis too. Do you know anything about the way the industry works? - A&R, publishing, marketing and promotion etc? I'd speak to a few A&R guys, both in publishing and record companies. get a feel on what they're up to. Also get practicing on your instrument. They'll be looking for people with the potential to go on and do something after the course has finished, so try and have a firm idea on what you want to acheive during and after the course has ended.

I'll see if I can rake out the E-mail address for David Hagan, who is an A&R guy for Sony / BMG, I think he was on that course, and is a pretty cool guy and Im sure he would give you some good advice.

I used to know the head tutor guy there - JoJo Gould' date=' he used to be involved with Nemis too. Do you know anything about the way the industry works? - A&R, publishing, marketing and promotion etc? I'd speak to a few A&R guys, both in publishing and record companies. get a feel on what they're up to. Also get practicing on your instrument. They'll be looking for people with the potential to go on and do something after the course has finished, so try and have a firm idea on what you want to acheive during and after the course has ended.

I'll see if I can rake out the E-mail address for David Hagan, who is an A&R guy for Sony / BMG, I think he was on that course, and is a pretty cool guy and Im sure he would give you some good advice.[/quote']

Nah i don't really know how the industry works - i could maybe blag some questions on it though. Yeah i am really gonna have to become a demon on my instrument for the audish - hours of practice every day. Getting the email would be great.

Cheers for all the help.

i graduated from that course last year.

as far as i remember the audition went as follows...

written theory test/listening test...would advise you to get to grips with the basics of grade 5 theory for this. honestly cant remember what was in the listening test but im sure one of the questions asked what MIDI stands for.

practical audition...just play your best stuff on your chosen instruments...best to show them a varied picture of what you can do. they always like people who can play more than one thing too. im sure you are supposed to be minimum grade 7 or equivalent on your instrument.

they also do this thing where they show you a picture or poem before the audition and then you have to make up a piece based on it.

then they just have a chat with you about the course and music etc. i seem to remember this bit being fairly informal.

theres only one audition in glasgow...im sure you already had to send in a tape?

hope that helps, just ask if theres anything else

iain

Surely on applying for such a course as this you must have people around much better equiped to discern what is needed - music teachers etc..

I'm pretty sure thats the course where roughly about four hundred people apply every year for thirty spaces, so you'd best get your act together if you want to avoid a year at Aberdeen College (which you do).

i graduated from that course last year.

as far as i remember the audition went as follows...

written theory test/listening test...would advise you to get to grips with the basics of grade 5 theory for this. honestly cant remember what was in the listening test but im sure one of the questions asked what MIDI stands for.

practical audition...just play your best stuff on your chosen instruments...best to show them a varied picture of what you can do. they always like people who can play more than one thing too. im sure you are supposed to be minimum grade 7 or equivalent on your instrument.

they also do this thing where they show you a picture or poem before the audition and then you have to make up a piece based on it.

then they just have a chat with you about the course and music etc. i seem to remember this bit being fairly informal.

theres only one audition in glasgow...im sure you already had to send in a tape?

hope that helps' date=' just ask if theres anything else

iain[/quote']

Yeah i sent away the CD with 3 tracks on it and they came back saying i got an audition.

I reckon i could be fucked for the theory but we will see.

I got a grade 7 and a grade 8 piece for my principle instrument. Also gonna play a funky slap bass song and am in the midst of leanring a grade 4 drum piece - just to mix it up a bit.

Quite looking forward to the poem thing, seems good fun.

Cheers Iain.

Surely on applying for such a course as this you must have people around much better equiped to discern what is needed - music teachers etc..

Yeah i have spoke to my music teacher and she has helped me. I thought since im on a MUSIC FORUM where there is people who have been through these auditions they might be able to help me to. Was that really neccesary?

Was completely surprised that i got an audition so not realy expecting a place. I'll try my hardest though and see what happens.