aberdeen-music

Holocaust Denial Prohibition

EchelonDivision

tv tanned on the money as usual.

Usually the answer to all free speech arguments is Voltaire's "I disagree with everything you say but I shall defend to your death the right to say it."

The law makes exceptions for speech which is incitement to racial hatred, in some cases blasphemy or offensive behaviour etc, eg shoutin c*** in the street in broad daylight.

Theresa Villiers has just made a brilliant point on Newsnight about the law Irving has fallen foul of not being a law to restrict free speech but a law to prevent the exoneration of mass murder, that some lies are too damaging to be permitted, and that something happened so terrible it has to be remembered for what it was and not allow any ambiguity to move in.

I personally don't believe people should be put in prison for their beliefs, but I wonder if Irving really believes thre holocaust never happened or if, being a supporter of the far right himself, he is merely using this slogan to try and attract followers.

Guest MerryChristmas

Its really horrifying to hear of someone being jailed for their beliefs. In this day and age we are becoming a world more akin to one which would become under sharia law.

Post edited to show actual viewpoint, all traces of humour removed

If the top one is so bad why are some of them smiling.

Its really horrifying to hear of someone being jailed for their beliefs. In this day and age we are becoming a world more akin to one which would become under sharia law.

plus the bottom one is worse because thats just horrible

I know your reputation on here as some kind of pathetic wind up merchant....but you are just a wanker as far as I can tell....what would your mum say if the big boys told her what you got up to?

Guest MerryChristmas
I know your reputation on here as some kind of pathetic wind up merchant....but you are just a wanker as far as I can tell....what would your mum say if the big boys told her what you got up to?

I dont know what would she say old man?

Mr Christmas, I'm not going to let you make this thread all about you. Obviously denying you your right to free speech in this thread in particular would just be irony overload, but there is a difference between having the right to express an opinion, and having the right to waste everyone's time with your poor quality wind ups. You don't have that right. Stop it, post something constructive or you will be gone for good.

Guest MerryChristmas
Mr Christmas' date=' I'm not going to let you make this thread all about you. Obviously denying you your right to free speech in this thread in particular would just be irony overload, but there is a difference between having the right to express an opinion, and having the right to waste everyone's time with your poor quality wind ups. You don't have that right. Stop it, post something constructive or you will be gone for good.[/quote']

Fixed and it wasnt actually a wind up..........