aberdeen-music

Broken heart? listen to The Smiths!

Guest Philip

Guest Philip

LONDON (Reuters) - A song by cult rock band The Smiths has been voted the best song to listen to when you are depressed, according to a BBC 6 Music poll.

"I Know It`s Over", taken from their 1986 album "The Queen Is Dead", came top in the radio station vote of tunes to listen to when you are upset or broken-hearted.

"That song is like a giant pair of arms coming out of the speakers to hug me," 6 Music quoted a fan as saying.

The song was written by Smith`s lugubrious front man Morrissey, whose angst-ridden lyrics won the band an army of fans in the 1980s.

In second place was Texan band Bowling For Soup`s "Girl all the Bad Guys Want", followed by REM`s "Everybody Hurts", The Cure`s "Pictures of You" and Radiohead`s "Fake Plastic Trees".

Music writers have rated The Smiths as one of Britain`s most influential groups of all time, with the "The Queen is Dead" considered by critics to be a classic.

Earlier this month, Morrissey was named as this year`s guest director for the cutting edge Meltdown music festival, which will take place in London`s South Bank Centre on June 11-27.

The poll was part of a 6 Music campaign examining the connection between music and mental health.

"HE LISTENS TO THE FUCKING SMITHS

HE'S GOT A MUSTACHE

HE WEARS A TRENCHCOAT

HE'S GOT A MUSTACHE

HE WEARS BLACK TIGHTS

HE WRITES POETRY

HE WEARS BLACK LIPSTICK

UNDER HIS MUSTACHE

HE'S GOT A ROLLERCOASTER HAIRCUT

HE DYES IT JET BLACK

WHEN HIS HAIR IS REALLY BROWN

JUST LIKE HIS MUSTACHE

HE WANTS TO BE ROBERT SMITH

BUT WITH A MUSTACHE

HE'S A FUCKING ART FAG

HE'S GOT A MUSTACHE"

sorry just had to quote anal cunt when I read the title

Guest neil ex

apparently the smiths called themselves the smiths because they wanted a simple name as opposed to an overly complicated name like all the names bands were coming up with around that time. apparently.

the one and only time i had an 'on going fling' with a girl, i listened to the smiths more than any other band

Ah yes,

I don't get the whole "bowling for soup" thing, but the rest of the list seems mighty familiar from those moments of depression... also see...

U2: With or without you

Radiohead: Street Spirit (Fade out)

and CD's *they* give you... oh to weap.