aberdeen-music

Favourite music Videos

Birdman

Come to Daddy - Aphex Twin - all those little kids running around with Richard Jame's face on eek! 8o

Oh' date=' I'm sure I could think of more but its getting late.

While we're on the subject though - why do so many people insist on citing Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody as the first pop video? Many big bands had made a habit of recording promotional clips since the mid 60s to promote their singles while they were on tour etc. It was hardly a novel concept by the time Mercury and co. used it.[/quote']

Thats creepy, i didnt read the second page before I posted! and yeah, wasnt that Dire Straits video the first one ?

Yeah' date=' not sure I agree with that either, how about the Beatles, they did quite a lot of specific "promo clips" for use when they couldn't be bothered doing TV anymore, Strawberry Fields for example.

[/quote']

I know it wasnt the first, but the Beatles songs were not hits based on the video, they were hits based on the fact it was the Beatles. Bo Rhap was one of the first that used, for the time, state of the art effects etc and made the video as important as the song, it was one of the first video's that hit the publics imagination in strong way. This is interesting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_video (I turn into Cloud :swearing: )

Cheers

Stuart

Guest DustyDeviada
I know it wasnt the first' date=' but the Beatles songs were not hits based on the video, they were hits based on the fact it was the Beatles. Bo Rhap was one of the first that used, for the time, state of the art effects etc and made the video as important as the song, it was one of the first video's that hit the publics imagination in strong way. This is interesting [url']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_video (I turn into Cloud :swearing: )

Cheers

Stuart

Well I think Bohemian Rhapsody (please stop calling it 'Bo Rhap', the only other person I've seen doing that is Ben Elton, and we all know what a toss pot he is) would have been a huge hit regardless of the video.

And it wasn't really even a proper video, most of it was concert footage.

I know it wasnt the first' date=' but the Beatles songs were not hits based on the video, they were hits based on the fact it was the Beatles. Bo Rhap was one of the first that used, for the time, state of the art effects etc and made the video as important as the song, it was one of the first video's that hit the publics imagination in strong way. This is interesting [url']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_video (I turn into Cloud :swearing: )

Cheers

Stuart

Very interesting article. Proves my point that Queen were miles away from being "first" to make a video - perhaps this constant misrepresentation is the fault of lazy journalists and researchers who can't be bothered to check anything.

While I'm here - can't believe I forgot "Sabotage" still chuckle every time I see that one. One of the highlights of seeing them on their last tour was they had this idea that everyone should come "dressed for the pageant" and encouraged everyone to get dressed up for the show rather than the usual jeans and t-shirt regalia. Everyone who did got filmed and shown before the show started. Suprisingly there were only three guys who had dared to rock the Sabotage look and you could see everyone else looking at them thinking "damn, wish I'd done that!"

"Hey Ladies" is another cracking Beastie Boys clip too.