aberdeen-music

calander...

Guest MDP

... there are a lot more gigs that get mentioned in the Gig and Event Announcements forum' date=' and indeed on the rest of the site, than are advertised in the GCG.

[/quote']

I wouldn't say there was a LOT more (I've just had a look and there's nothing for the next two months in the calendar that wasn't already in the GCG), but there are certainly some, prof lofi's sound installation at the railway station for instance or gigs outwith Aberdeen City, which the site can't/won't handle at the moment.

It's a free service that gets thousands of hits every day' date=' so I don't see why promoters shouldn't take advantage of it.[/quote']

Change the thousands to hundreds and I'm just as confused as to why promoters, venues and even bands themselves don't make more use of the GCG site. Even when I chase up the promoters/venues for info it's like getting blood out of a stone sometimes, which seems an odd way to promote gigs.

Deadline for the Feb issue is this Friday, 13th Jan so get those listings in folks, if I don't have them on the datatbase by then, it won't be in the paper version.

www.gcguide.co.uk

Yeah

I hate it when sites like Drummonds and Tunnels have the bands names spelled incorrectly ,don't give the door price, or don't state the actual day,just a date ...GRRR... and even worse do not even tell us what is going on,as you said, the GC guide is FREE why not use it ?.

sponsors

I find it amusing that the large adverts by venues stick out, but they are sometimes missed in the actual guide listings,YEAH the venue may be fantastic but if their gigs are omitted from the guide then there's little point in sponsoring it,he he he no ones perfect but I FIND THIS SITUATION LUDICROUS.

Make it do what it says on the tin- tell us the day, date, time the FIRST act is on, door price and name of the acts or I will not be going .... ok I WILL,but I'm not yer average punter looking for somewhere to go,apart from that The Granite City Guide is very good WELL DONE and keep up the good work,and Happy New Year.

I find it amusing that the large adverts by venues stick out' date=' but they are sometimes missed in the actual guide listings,YEAH the venue may be fantastic but if their gigs are omitted from the guide then there's little point in sponsoring it,he he he no ones perfect but I FIND THIS SITUATION LUDICROUS. [/quote']

Because the listings require a lot of work, and they're taken straight off the database normally on a Friday, if an advert comes in on a Saturday/Sunday or sometimes even a Monday with extra gigs, we can't reformat an entire A3 page to accomodate them. We try but, last time I checked, we were only human, and there's only 24 hours in a day.

Make it do what it says on the tin- tell us the day' date=' date, time the FIRST act is on, door price and name of the acts or I will not be going .... ok I WILL,but I'm not yer average punter looking for somewhere to go,apart from that The Granite City Guide is very good WELL DONE and keep up the good work,and Happy New Year.[/quote']

I give you the door times, which is the only way imo, start times can be changed at short notice but door times rarely do.

At the end of the day, I give you all the info that I can get my hands on, go rant at the venues, promoters and bands if you feel the info I give is inadequate.

The guide does what it says on the tin, it's called the Granite City Guide, not the Granite City Complete and Definitive, Never Wrong, Set-in-Stone Listings.

I wouldn't say there was a LOT more (I've just had a look and there's nothing for the next two months in the calendar that wasn't already in the GCG)' date=' but there are certainly some, prof lofi's sound installation at the railway station for instance or gigs outwith Aberdeen City, which the site can't/won't handle at the moment.[/quote']

Actually, Prof Lofi's sound installaton at the railway station was in the calendar on here. As long as the event is music related in some way and taking place in Aberdeen or the surronding areas then there is no reason why it can't be added to the calendar. People just have to get off their collective arses and add it to the web site.

Bearing in mind this web site gets over 6 million hits each month then there is every reason why people should add their events to this web site as well as the GCG. It's free advertising on a huge scale (in online terms at least).

Actually' date=' Prof Lofi's sound installaton at the railway station was in the calendar on here. As long as the event is music related in some way and taking place in Aberdeen or the surronding areas then there is no reason why it can't be added to the calendar. People just have to get off their collective arses and add it to the web site.

Bearing in mind this web site gets over 6 million hits each month then there is every reason why people should add their events to this web site as was as the GCG. It's free advertising on a huge scale (in online terms at least).[/quote']

That's what I meant, you had the installation listed but there isn't a way for the GCGuide to list such an event, unless I could be bothered putting it in for each individual day.

If promoters are too lazy (sorry, I mean busy) to put their listings in both sites, they can just add it here and I'll find it in my daily trawl of websites and add it to the Guide. How easy can I make it?

tell us the day' date=' date, time the FIRST act is on, door price and name of the acts or I will not be going ....[/quote']

Grrr Biz, now I have people trying to tell me when the first act is on, instead of door time. I can't do both, there isn't space and space is expensive in the printed guide.

Please don't scrap the calendar - My web use is restricted cos I only get on the net at work, and this is the only place I can go to find out anything. And I'm not alone - all public sector workers have the same restrictions!

But yeah it is annoying when there are ads for gigs that are incomplete but hey - noone is infallible, I always used to forget something when I was doing posters.