aberdeen-music

Ryan Adams - 29

-matthEw-

Right, his THIRD album this year (well, more like the last 7 months really), anyone heard it yet? I think its my favourite from this trilogy, and i didnt think anything would ever top Cold Roses. More reminiscent of Love Is Hell than the country twang of Cold Roses and Jacksonville.

2 more albums for early next year as well!

Love Is Hell is one of my favourite albums of all time. I'll admit that Jacksonville wasnt as good as he can be (neither was Rock n Roll) but every track from the new one, Cold Roses, Love Is Hell, Gold and Heartbreaker is worth listening to.

I think people are wrong when they say he needs quality control as a reaction to him being so prolific.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ryan and his "Gold" show at the QMU stands as one of my favourie gigs of all time, but he's become so hit and miss - Look at how he started - All of Whiskeytown's albums, Heartbreaker, Gold - stone cold classics one and all. Rock n Roll - shite. Demolition - average at best. Love is Hell - hit and miss. Cold Roses - Awesome. Jacksonville - Christ he can't even sing in tune anymore (few good songs).

He used to be a perfectionist pre-Gold, recording loads and releaseing little, but now its like he's got release-diarrhoea! Theres bound to be some nuggets of gold in there (delightful imgae), but I can't afford to buy everything he releases anymore, if its not gonna be good....

I can see where your coming from in a lot of that. but to me, both Cold Roses and 29 are awesome albums, with Jacksonville being merely very good. Perhaps theres a case that he shoudlve stuck the cream of Jacksonville on either 'Roses or 29 but, well he didnt, and thats it. So to me, hes only made 2 less than perfect albums in Rock and Roll (rushed under record company pressure) and Jacksonville (an off day?)

Not sure what my point is, i think its something like : hes a genius.

I've not had enough listens of Jacksonville, but my immediate impression is that it is not as good as Cold Roses... Love is Hell was a disappointment in terms of it being the "record too depressing to be released" and all that shite, but I thought Rock n Roll record was alright, a bit patchy, but at least he tried something different. Mr Adamas has yet to top Heartbreaker in my opinion.

Any heard that "The Finger" album he did with Jesse Malin? I'm guessing it pretty gash.