aberdeen-music

I want a guitar

Floor Tom

And I was wondering if you lot can help me.

I have never played the guitar before but I want to learn. I'll be playing punk/hardcore stuff and was wondering if you lot can advise me.

I'm looking to spend as little as possible, I was hoping for 50 on a second had guitar and 50 on an amp. Is this realistic or an I gonna have to spend some more?

You can get ok started packs for about £100 - £150, but if you want a better guitar then ebay would be a good way to go - or scot ads/notice boards/pawn shops or something. It's best to play a guitar if you can before buying it, but don't expect too much for £50! Stick to well known brands as well.

You can have a twang at the strings tho to check the guitar isn't a complete piece of shit...

It's probably best to get a new one in that case - that way you can be sure the guitar's ok. You can get nylon string acoustics pretty cheaply.

I'm usually a big advocate of buying the best instrument you can buy, but for the sort of money you are thinking of I'd also be recommending a starter pack. At least you will get a bit of a warranty with it.

Take someone who can play along with you if you can, and ask advice in the shop. Don't be afraid to have a pluvck at it, even if it's just to hold it. And get something you like the look of too. If you hate looking at your guitar you won't want to play it.....

You can have a twang at the strings tho to check the guitar isn't a complete piece of shit...

It's probably best to get a new one in that case - that way you can be sure the guitar's ok. You can get nylon string acoustics pretty cheaply.

Starting on a nylon string acoustic is a great way to begin. Not only do you get a real feel for the guitar but also you'll appreciate a proper electric once you have enough money.

• 2 weeks later...

As craig said, it would be better getting a starter pack, for 1 it cheap and cherful, and 2 you might get pist off we learning and give up and it means you havna spent to much mula. I go for the squire starter pack from rnb or bruce millars, you might get it cheaper in the january sales, good luck dude