aberdeen-music

Data Panik + The Videos + Death By Dave - Thurs 15th Dec 05

chilli

Guest bluesxman
There was a mad woman who grabbed me by the lapels and demanded a dance. I managed to extricate myself by pleading that I'm a very shy wallflower who can't dance on account of an spleen injury sustained during the Boer War.

Ha ha, I wonder if that's the same one who shoved me back through the entrance door, asked me if I worked there, asked me if I liked her, looked hacked off when I said "'I'm sure you're lovely but I have a girlfriend", then when I hurriedly changed the subject and asked if she enjoyed the bands, she said "Bands? What Bands?" "The ones like you were up dancing to earlier" " Oh, I never noticed". Shortish dark hair? Was up dancing during The Videos with the guy who did some Dad dancing then stuck his fingers in his ears....

Anyway, I thought Death By Dave had very good songs I enjoyed them a lot. The banter between songs was amusing to start with but by the end it was a bit wearing. But I'd go see them again.

The Videos were also very good, nice punky stuff. Thought they were far better than I remember Bis being personally. Some of those lyrics sounded a bit naughty but couldn't quite make them out.

Data Panik - didn't do it for me really, left after 3 songs, more because they ended up on late and I had to get home, but just not that interesting for me, kind of ska-tinged pop.

I had a great night.

When Death By Dave are in full flow they really do come across a lot more polished than the in between song banter leads you to believe ;) Well worth checking out their EP too as the stand out tracks in their set are all there.

It's been ages since I last saw The Videos, and I think it was at the transitionary stage between Real Shocks. God knows what they've been doing since then, but it's worked a treat - Sharon's vastly improved as the frontwoman, the complexity of the synth parts and variety of nasty noises has really padded out their sound. Sounded great when Stephen joined in vocally too.

Thoroughly enjoyed Data Panik, and it looked like they enjoyed themselves too. Cubis (I Love You) stood out for me, but I have been listening to that track for the last few weeks. Was great watching the energy between them, especially the seemingly automatic synchronicity in head movements and poses between John and Steven. Got to agree with Dave, it is very tempting to nip off to see them again on the 23rd - We'll be passing through Glasgow that night anyway...

PS - Due to heaps of gear on stage making it slightly impossible to get to the DJ kit I have to apologise for my very, very self-indulgent choice of music for the interludes. Made my night to have so many people asking who Plus Tech Squeeze Box was (CD playing before The Videos).

I enjoyed what I saw muchly. Death By Dave were rather good, I intend to seek out their EP. Always enjoy the Videos, especially "Do You Wanna Do Me"... mmm hot sex now.

I wasn't able to stay to the end but I made sure I caught the first few songs from Data Panik, and what I heard, I liked. Another band I shall be seeking out, most definitely.

I thoroughly enjoyed the night :D

Death by Dave were abnormal but very good in a Death Cab/Martin Grech sorta way. Loved the last song a lot.

The Videos reminded me very much of early Bis etc and i really enjoyed them too. Sharon was a total vixen on stage :) she owned the stage in a very Karen O kinda way.

I love Data Panik, they were awesome. Just great music, confident delivery and great showmanship.

Well worth 5, shame about the small turn out though.

last night was ace, or what i remember of it...i was with the crazy girl and the old man - i was on a works night out and managed to drag my manager and the company director away...i apologise on all our behalf’s - we were all completely smashed out of our brains (drinking since 2pm).

the videos i thought were ace, much better than what i heard from the songs on myspace

And data panik were amazing - such a good live sound, great for dancing. Shame there wasn't more people there.

p.s sorry for the shameful dancing.

Anyway' date=' I thought Death By Dave had very good songs I enjoyed them a lot. The banter between songs was amusing to start with but by the end it was a bit wearing. But I'd go see them again.

[/quote']

Yeah sorry bout talkin so much shit, can't help myself. I had been getting better (I think) but kinda got carried away. Will try not to be as stupid next time.

Good to hear that people enjoyed it, I had a good night even though I was exhausted and finished work just as the doors opened.

Enjoyed the videos and data panik but was much too tired to dance.

Hope to see some of you at the lemon tree lunchtime gig on 19th January

Dave who is jamie :)

Yeah sorry bout talkin so much shit' date=' can't help myself. I had been getting better (I think) but kinda got carried away. Will try not to be as stupid next time.

Good to hear that people enjoyed it, I had a good night even though I was exhausted and finished work just as the doors opened.

Dave who is jamie :)[/quote']

that last truly amazing song youz did easily made up the appalling banter!

Guest bluesxman
Yeah sorry bout talkin so much shit' date=' can't help myself. I had been getting better (I think) but kinda got carried away. Will try not to be as stupid next time.

Dave who is jamie :)[/quote']

Wouldn't worry, the music was very good and the slightly shambolic element of using the wrong tempo settings was amusingly endearing to me. Twas just the 'you're a c**t, well you're a c**k' element that wore thin after a while. And I hope Dave's Mum skelped his ear for calling you a c**t in public :up: