aberdeen-music

Lemon Tree (reeeecentleee)

Emilio Largo

As you may have guessed, I attended a gig at the fabled Lemon Tree recently, where one of the headline acts was the'Cuts.' I had heard that they were meant to be a good, solid local band. So I had a couple of drinks a proceeded to the floor when the Cuts came on stage, expecting something good. Well...

It wasn't bad, it was certainly alright. But yet again another local band that has become overhyped, also in this category are the lovely Hookers Green #1.

I can't be bothered going into details, but they get a 6 out 10, I'm in a good mood :)

Cuts are good, damnit :) And as for hype, well, they're something different, no wonder people are actually talking about them here.

I have a review that needs posted of them, i'll do it tonight...It's kinda late to be posting a review, but bah, i've been so busy lately :(

Guest stuartmaxwell

i reviewed their cd

they were ok at the lemon tree but they lack a decent drummer, every song had the same beat which escalated out of time a lot

cd is pretty decent,

i reckon they will be good in a couple of years when they become beter musicians

considoring that lemon tree was only the cuts second gig, they should be given the benefit of the doubt i think, i liked what was going on, a bit like those girlie alternative rock bands from the early 90's like huggy bear and bikini kill, i've heard that the demo is pretty awesome but not heard it yet.

Yeah it was their second gig... considering mishaps on stage etc. I thought they played a good set, they'll pretty shit hot ina few years time once they settle with one another.

Their drummer seems to have a good foundation of what's going on, and I believe that she'll improve with time... to my knowledge she hasn't been drumming for very long.

Hookers Green - Well Simpson, yes... I was dancing on saturday too... perhaps you saw me with my red hat and stripey tshirt... perhaps not. It was their best set to date imho... I must admit I've become quite a fan of theirs. Definately something with a very unique twist.

Originally posted by Mr Cat:

It wasn't bad, it was certainly alright. But yet again another local band that has become overhyped, also in this category are the lovely Hookers Green #1.

If they're overhyped, then how come I've never heard of them? Same with Hookers Green, I've only seen something like one thread about them on the messageboards this year, and that was advertising a gig, which is hardly the height of fame.

I was never hip, I was always terminally late. I've only just caught onto this whole grunge thing, and I hear Britpop is the 'in' thing... but no, I was never hip. I never will be, I've accepted it for my own sanity, I don't do post-modern irony very well, which is essential if you want to play rock music and be hip with the fashionista.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i've heard of the cuts

i've heard a lot about them, i've heard people rave about them. i would say it was true that they were hyped. and every wacky art punk or abysmalist wanks over hookers green. I would say it was true that both of these acts were hyped, that's all.

Stripey Tshirts? For the record I have more than one...

Besides at the Cuts gig I swear I was wearing a plain black tshirt...

(and it was a pink and blue stripey one at hookers green... not the infamous pink and red one... pfft... get your tshirts right)

Originally posted by ghost:

They're hyped very very quietly then. Is it done in dark alleys or through furtive note-passing?

Notes of steel... etches with blood... you'd recognise them if you saw them... took me hours to do them.

I left them in dark alleys... perhaps they were too dark for people to find them...

asides that it's just been the odd whisper in the city... people in, "the know" y'know?

Or so I'm told...