aberdeen-music

mcalpine building sings again!

prof_lofi

hi everyone,

if you missed hearing this strange building sing, it's started to again today. the workers have added on two stories and it's started making similar harmonic sounds in the wind. you might try to hear it later when the workers are gone (though it's sorta cool to hear them working amidst this harmonic cloud)...but there's a compresser engine that's a bit loud...anyway, it's pretty audible from the park, so that'd be a good place to stand to hear it... it's pretty cool but it's also pretty ephemeral and who knows how long it'll last...it's worth a walk on the beach at least.

the building's on the beach in footdee, just next to the restaurant 'the silver darling'...here's that mp3 incase you missed it last time.

>>

in any case, here is a short mp3 of it:

http://www.billthompson.org/mp3s/mcalpinesampleuntreated.mp3

and here is the same mp3 but with only the sound of

the building and everything else filtered

out:http://www.billthompson.org/mp3s/mcalpinesample.mp3

>>

hope you get to hear it...i think it's totally cool :)

b.

www.billthompson.org

hate to sound stupid but... where is footdee?

I can't think where it is on my head and would like to pay it a visit.

It's what it says on the tin' date=' caller - it's at the "foot" of the "Dee".

[url']http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=395500&Y=806000&width=500&height=300&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=freegaz&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&zm=0&scale=10000&out.x=9&out.y=7

hurrah! they should make that a feature of the finished building' date=' that would be a neat addition to aberdeens architecture. though i guess the residents might get a bit fed up with the noise after a while.[/quote']

ah na, it's really subtle...only when the wind blows and it blends in really nice..'course i could be biased :)

hate to sound stupid but... where is footdee?

I can't think where it is on my head and would like to pay it a visit.

better known as fitty.

I had a bizarre dream about writing a film about this, where some guy fell in love with the noise and was able to decipher code from the noise, it was something to do with spirits in the area communicating through it, and they were unhappy about the building being built there, and some cult would all come down and start listening in after he told one of his friends about it and he put it on the web and on the news, it become a phenomenon where everyone and their dog were coming down to get their photos taken, the spirits weren't happy and he could tell this as the sound was no longer beautiful, and poles started falling down and impaling people with builders dying and stuff....in the end everyone agreed to back the fuck off from the place and they rebuilt the scaffolding so the spirits could communicate to each other at night with no one taking interest, except that one guy who would sit and listen to the noise all night....

That was a fucked up dream...I'm glad I don't take drugs...