aberdeen-music

Artists & Artwork Required

Flash@TMB

Artists required...

As a side effect of the rennovations The Moorings Bar will have some blank walls where historically there has been murals. We'd like some artwork to fill the spaces. The style we are looking for is an amalgamation of NY subway graffiti art, tattoo art, airbrush, custom automotive paintwork, and comic book art. The themes we'd like to explore include:

sea, pirates, treasure chests, mermaids, gallions, skeletons, Treasure Island

star wars canteena

custom motorcycles, bikers, Ghost Rider... I have customised one of my motorcycles and I'd love for it to be featured, photo to follow...

muscle cars, mad max, gothic future

women of the night, Soho, After Hours

alcohol

music and bands but NO actual characters, actual bands etc to be mentioned or depicted

ghosts

1970s

In front of our stage there will be an aluminum roller shutter door like you see in front of shops in deprived areas. We'd like this door to be sprayed with a "Davey Jones' Locker" mural.

What's in it for you? Well for starters you get your artwork displayed in the bar, potentially for a very long time. A few free drinks, and some discount here and there, perhaps a booking for your band, free admission, your CD on the jukeox, your special tankered behind the bar, a plaque in your honour in the toilets:) Basic quid pro quo type deals. We're looking for people that are mainly prepared to do this for the love of the bar and the hell of it... the same reasons that we've almost bankcrupted ourselves doing these rennovations.

We'll cover the cost of all materials, and feed and water the workers during the process.

We'll need to see some sketches prior to letting people loose on the walls, these can either be scanned in and emailed or taken to the bar once it opens. There is a finite ammount of space so we won't be able to commission every idea. We're looking for works of all shapes, sizes, and scale.

Get in touch with me if you are interested.

Flash

Only two problems...

We've already ruled out this particular option...

Mike seemed interested in doing the work, but appeared to be seeking payment. Although we have no problem with paying for things, this one is classified under 'labour of love'.

The artwork is neither urgent or even necessary. It's an opportunity for people to play a very personal part in the look of the bar. We'd prefer people to undertake this because they'd like to be involved as opposed to focusing on the payment. It would feel wrong to contract it out to a professional.

Mike also made an unrelated comment that we considered inaccurate and found insulting. So you could say we got off on the wrong foot.

So far I've had several good PMs from people that would like to do this, and massive interest on alternativenation.net, so I think we're going to get something sorted out.

Thanks for the tip though.

Flash