aberdeen-music

Breaking News In The World Of Space

Mouse

thanks for that camie, i can read ;)

why not call them planets? well think about every lump of rock floating around in our solar system in an orbit with the sun, if we made them all planets then we'd have a bloody mess on our hands, a level of discression is needed i think. I'd also imagine it would have to have some kind of atmosphere to qualify. Tho i am going to look it up as im probably wrong.

ok hands up i was pretty much wrong....

Surprisingly' date=' there is no set scientific law as to what constitutes a planet, but as a rule of thumb, a planet: 1) must directly orbit a star; 2) must be small enough that it has not undergone internal nuclear fusion (i.e., it is not a star or starlike object); and 3) must be large enough that its self-gravity gives it the general shape of a sphere.[/quote']

Isn't Pluto just basically an asteroid? They were in a rush to find the '9th planet' and so when it was discovered they made it a planet. If I remember most atronomers don't class it as a planet or they would have to call ever asteroid and comet a planet too.

I was just reading a whole report about that actually' date=' its kinda intresting, here if anyone's interested.

Guest b-bert
Isn't Pluto just basically an asteroid? They were in a rush to find the '9th planet' and so when it was discovered they made it a planet. If I remember most atronomers don't class it as a planet or they would have to call ever asteroid and comet a planet too.[/quote

yes

pluto is also a member of the kuiper belt so is not technically a planet either.

Guest lime ruined my life
Isn't Pluto just basically an asteroid? They were in a rush to find the '9th planet' and so when it was discovered they made it a planet. If I remember most atronomers don't class it as a planet or they would have to call ever asteroid and comet a planet too.
well it says it was discovered earlier but they couldn't really confirm it.

There are also 4 other 'objects' as well although I don't get why they don't 'officially' call them planets.

i think i can answer both of these here.

Pluto is a planet, it orbits around the sun, object that orbit around a sun are planets. Asteroids, i think, sit still, in the asteroid belt.

They need to do checks on the "object" to predict the orbit, which means watching it over a period of time, before that can tell you what it's orbit is.