aberdeen-music

Steve Vai

Guest Bob Double Jack

Guest Gregor Ascension

what a load of bullshit. alan holdsworth is the only guitar player on that list that i would rate, considering that, he is more renouned for his legato phrasing. you are talking dogshit, mate.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vai as a songwriter doesnt really excite me very much. However, his playing ability is outstanding, he is also very creative throughout a wide variety of musical genres. Some of his stuff on Fire Garden shows this.

Vai is a difficult one. Hard to explain what I mean lol.

Guest AmbientMood
what a load of bullshit. alan holdsworth is the only guitar player on that list that i would rate' date=' .[/quote']

By dismissing the above six players, you've just rendered your opinion worthless in the context of the discussion.

:D

Guest Gregor Ascension
By dismissing the above six players' date=' you've just rendered your opinion worthless in the context of the discussion.

:D[/quote']

just because i dont like them, doesnt mean their not talented musicians. cock

In fact plenty of players have better 'phrasing' than Marty Friedman' date=' who is pretty much another heavy metal diddly-diddly-diddly player no?

[/quote']

Ignorance!!! 8o You my friend, have absolutely no idea of what the hell you are on about! Marty did a bit of the "diddly-diddly-diddly" in some of his solos in Megadeth, but most of them had fantastic phrasing, pin point accuracy, technique, and most important of all, melody. But it's his solo music which truely displays his unfathomable genius. I'd recommend "Scenes" & "Introduction" for some amazing music. Thought provoking, deep, orchestrated compositions, with some great improv, and thought out guitar melodies. "Music For Speeding" offers harder, rockin' grooves with class and style. Marty is musical genius, so please, PLEASE, never throw him in with the endless list of "diddly-diddly-diddly" players. (No offence intended, just Marty is my idol :D )

Andy

Oh and for a few of other players I highly rate:

Jason Becker - some of his stuff is genius, but I admit some of it falls to the same prey as Vai's and ends up as a widdley, widdley fest.

Slash - Not technically the best, but that tone, and the soul in some of those solos!

Andy Timmons - Versatile is an understatement, and he has bags of chops, melody and class.

Mark Knopfler - Need I even explain why I put him in?

Rory Gallagher - You'd be hard pushed to find a better bluesy rock n' roll player!

Andy

P.S. There are many, many more, but it'd take too long to list them

In terms of saying anyone can understand theory if they wanted to though... thats bullshit. Thats like saying anyone could understand quantum physics. Also' date=' quantum physics, like theory requires graft - would you suggest Steven Hawkins not a genius because he worked like bastard to get to his level of knowledge??[/quote']

What I meant was, to some players, melody and creativity comes very naturally, and I think it shows. Anyone who plays a musical instrument for a decent amount of time, will accumulate SOME understanding of theory, and hence forth will be able to compose pieces. But to some it is a very mechanical process, to others it just flows.

Andy

Guest AmbientMood
just because i dont like them' date=' doesnt mean their not talented musicians. cock[/quote']

Hypocrit, you said you didn't rate them.

Guest Gregor Ascension
Hypocrit' date=' you said you didn't rate them.[/quote']

i mean that they are not among my favorite guitar players. my friend, the same applies to you regarding your comments about steve vai.

great call on jason becker youthgonewild.

i mean that they are not among my favorite guitar players. my friend' date=' the same applies to you regarding your comments about steve vai.

great call on jason becker youthgonewild.[/quote']

Ta man. You have good taste yourself, bar Steve Vai, heh. Good call on Marty earlier, living legend. :up:

Andy

Ignorance!!! 8o You my friend' date=' have absolutely no idea of what the hell you are on about! Marty did a bit of the "diddly-diddly-diddly" in some of his solos in Megadeth, but most of them had fantastic phrasing, pin point accuracy, technique, and most important of all, melody. But it's his solo music which truely displays his unfathomable genius. I'd recommend "Scenes" & "Introduction" for some amazing music. Thought provoking, deep, orchestrated compositions, with some great improv, and thought out guitar melodies. "Music For Speeding" offers harder, rockin' grooves with class and style. Marty is musical genius, so please, PLEASE, never throw him in with the endless list of "diddly-diddly-diddly" players. (No offence intended, just Marty is my idol :D )

Andy[/quote']

That is indeed correct. Marty did leave Megadeth mainly because he wanted to play other styles of music. Certainly a very talented guy who would eat Hammett for breakfast IMHO

• 4 weeks later...
In fact plenty of players have better 'phrasing' than Marty Friedman' date=' who is pretty much another heavy metal diddly-diddly-diddly player no?[/quote']

oh my god you really have no idea at all.

So what have you heard one Megadeth song and made that opinion or did you just trust a magic 8 ball to make it up for you?

Tat is probably the second worst sentence in the world ever, beaten only by Hitler's "Hey, why don't we gas them all and save bullets" or some such.

Guest AmbientMood
oh my god you really have no idea at all.

So what have you heard one Megadeth song and made that opinion or did you just trust a magic 8 ball to make it up for you?

My reasoning comes from various Megadeth albums that I used to listen to when I was maybe fourteen.

Do you actually think before posting?

Guest AmbientMood

Geeks.

All I did was ask a question. And yes, I'm not clued on his playing, I repeat that my knowledge comes from Megadeth albums, sorry if this isn't a representation of his expertise. As far as I'm concerned, this 'Gregor' suggested Marty Freidman is 'better' (I know it sounds childish) than Wes Montegomery. Ok? I just thought it was funny, christ.. So I suggested that Friedman is just a standard metal player, then all of a sudden the Church is knocking at my door demanding compensation for my crimes.

then being told I'm ignorant...

In fact this is very childish, get over it metalboyz!! :D:D:D

Guest Gregor Ascension
All I did was ask a question. And yes' date=' I'm not clued on his playing, I repeat that my knowledge comes from Megadeth albums, sorry if this isn't a representation of his expertise. As far as I'm concerned, this 'Gregor' suggested Marty Freidman is 'better' (I know it sounds childish) than Wes Montegomery. Ok? I just thought it was funny, christ.. So I suggested that Friedman is just a standard metal player, then all of a sudden the Church is knocking at my door demanding compensation for my crimes.

then being told [i']I'm ignorant...

In fact this is very childish, get over it metalboyz!! :D:D:D

i suggested nothing of the sort. you have payed the price for your ignorance, ending up looking rather foolish. check out Freidman's work with Cacophony, and then tell me he is nothing more than a 'widdley' metal guitarist. served.

exatly... you based your opinion on his Megadeth work...

Would you form an opinion on Steve Vai from a Whitesnake song?? No you wouldn't, so you really do no nothing of Freidman's playing.

If you have only heard him with Megadeth, then you have no idea. Cacophony was a project he did with Jason Becker... go listen, then come back to continue looking foolish

Guest Gregor Ascension
Ermm in terms of phrasing' date=' Montegomery, Benson, Django, Lang, Kessel (kassel?), Mcglaughin, Holdsworth all have great phrasing. In fact plenty of players have better 'phrasing' than Marty Friedman, who is pretty much another heavy metal diddly-diddly-diddly player no? Go up to Beans on Saturdays or Kef on Thursdays for home-grown quality soloing! :D

In terms of saying anyone can understand theory if they wanted to though... thats bullshit. Thats like saying anyone could understand quantum physics. Also, quantum physics, like theory requires graft - would you suggest Steven Hawkins not a genius because he worked like bastard to get to his level of knowledge?? There really is soooo much to take in before you can solo well over chord progressions, make interesting and spontaneous chord choices etc etc. In Vai's case, his impro is sometimes pretty balls, but he isn't selling himself on improvisation. His musical creativity, strengthened by a very substantial amount of knowledge, is very impressive, even when he's chugging out a heavy riff.

I don't know where 'luck' comes into it. Zappa said that he couldn't say no to Vai as he auditioned through a phone call.[/quote']

i suggest that you read this again, you absolute gobshite. mate, you dont have a leg to stand on, so give it up. you managed to back yourself into a corner with your "Im better than everyone else" atitude, and your 'elitest' musical tastes. ABOSOLUTELY SERVED.

Guest AmbientMood
i suggest that you read this again' date=' you absolute gobshite. mate, you dont have a leg to stand on, so give it up. you managed to back yourself into a corner with your "Im better than everyone else" atitude, and your 'elitest' musical tastes. ABOSOLUTELY SERVED.[/quote']

The magnitude of the offence I have caused with just a few uninspired posts never intending to offend (before you called me a cock, that is) begs to differ. Quite frightening, and possibly sickening, the speed at which you jump so viciously to defend this man whom you've never met. Crazed fan I think.

Also, its funny you should attack my 'elitist musical tastes' when on the subject of high intensity technique guitar playing, and how superior friedman is.

...for the record, I am better than you and your shitty, tunnel-visioned music taste.

Guest Gregor Ascension

im sorry, im not even i big vai fan. i just plane dont like you. you are an arrogant bastard, and i totaly brought you down a couple of pegs. shut the fuck up mate, YOU LOSE. give it up.