aberdeen-music

soundproofing your garage/practice space

ZeromiserY

Guest Gasss

egg boxes, carpets etc will diffuse the reflected sound, reducing reverberations inside the room but will do absolutely nothing to stop sound leaking out. I once knew a drummer that hung some sheets up on the walls and wondered why he was still getting complaints from the neighbours.

There's not a lot you can do on a limited budget.

http://www.soundproofing101.com/

carpet seems cheap enough f you know where to go. i'll try that.

i read online that the best way to soundproof is to build a smaller room within a room and put insulate between the outer wall of the smaller room and the original wall?

seems a bit extreme but its only a garagae that no-one uses anyway. anyone ever done this?

Guest lime ruined my life

carpet won't work.

as described above.

a room inside another room, insulted by lots of stuff, might work.

does anyone actually care? i used to practice in a garage that was basically like playing in the garden as far as sound proofing was concerned, and no one ever complained.

just pick times when most people are at work.

only thing that will really reduce the sound leaking out is mass- more sheet rock, lead foil, false walls. sorry, that's not good news. Egg Crates will help with sound diffusion inside the room, but to reduce those low frequencies it's adding mass to the walls (and isolating them too) that's going to do it.

dead space is a good insulator

hanging something like a heavy rug or carpet a few inches from teh walls all around to create a space of dead air around the room to help insulate the sound

that is the theory for what they often do with professional studios and soundrooms, basically building a room inside a room so there is an insulating area of dead air all around it, using carpets or the like is basically a cheaper version

David

Guest Gasss

Sonhenry and Lime are right. You need to use a material of sufficient density and thickness to absorb low frequencies. They don't come cheap. To be soundproof, the space also has to be airtight which brings in the problem of ventilation. Basically anything realistic that you do can only really knock off some of the high frequencies which escape. The lowest, most neighbour-bothering ones will still get through loud and clear.

[off topic reminiscing]

I used to live in a terraced granite house in Old Aberdeen. i found out that we'd been living next to a practicing drummer all year and had never once heard him. We used to have band rehersal/DJ sets there but sadly those days are gone :down::down::down::(