aberdeen-music

Sigur Ros last night

RossP

Guest bluesxman
A lot of Sigur Ros fans are no better than someone who suddenly likes whatever the latest NME hyped band is in order to look cool because they like Sigur Ros in an attempt to appear more high brow and detached from popular music. Hence my hipster comments. The same applies for many Mogwai fans and Mogwai themselves.

Why is it such a problem to like the music of Sigur Ros and Mogwai? I've seen several comments on this over the past while.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of Sigur Ros fans are no better than someone who suddenly likes whatever the latest NME hyped band is in order to look cool because they like Sigur Ros in an attempt to appear more high brow and detached from popular music. Hence my hipster comments. The same applies for many Mogwai fans and Mogwai themselves.

I am a Mogwai fan. I like popular music too. They can be compatible. Although I never have gotten into Sigur Ros, and I think Mogwai and their criticism of anything that has the phrase "classic songwriting" attached more than a little tiresome. It's a simple case that I think they have some stunning moments in their compositions that convey things to me that simple pop songs do not do. For me, there is a time and place for both in my life. Music is not simple black and whites.

Just because you can dance to a band doesn't make them good, Ancient Mariner.

Well like Birdman says everyone is entitled to their opinion. However I think Jimmy is wrong for calling fans of Sigur Ros hipsters. Also the things that Mariner are saying about Sigur Ros are harsh and i suspect that youve never really given them a proper chance. Yourself and Jimmy need to open your ears instead of acusing Sigur Ros and their fans of being or trying to be non descript, highbrow and detached fae popular music.

On the surface of things sigur ros have a lot more to offer than Interpol and co.

Sigur Ros, Laeto, Mogwai, GSY!BE, Explosions in the Sky, Picastro, Pelican etc. all make popular music. Popular music is meant for dancing, that's why it is made with a rhythm section, and it shouldn't aspire to having the depth of classical music, because it can't. Just because you can dance to a band doesn't make them good, but they are at least fufilling the 1st function of pop.

I don't know what reaction you are supposed to have to post-rock when you hear it. I'd say you don't know either, Ollie, and that's why you were nodding your head to the drums when Picastro played, to try and connect with it in some way

Well like Birdman says everyone is entitled to their opinion. However I think Jimmy is wrong for calling fans of Sigur Ros hipsters. Also the things that Mariner are saying about Sigur Ros are harsh and i suspect that youve never really given them a proper chance. Yourself and Jimmy need to open your ears instead of acusing Sigur Ros and their fans of being or trying to be non descript' date=' highbrow and detached fae popular music.

On the surface of things sigur ros have a lot more to offer than Interpol and co.[/quote']

A lot doesn't equal all you idiot. I think there are quite a lot of sigur ros fans who are hipsters though. I like Sigur Ros, at least i think they are okay, but the attitude i have seen displayed by fans of theirs on other messageboards irritates me. And I don't just listen to "Interpol and co" whoever the hell "co" are. And i find it funny that you say "On the surface" because that is precisely why many people attach themselves to bands like Sigur Ros, because on the surface to simpletons they appear to present something of greater depth because they have longer songs, more obscure instruments, less direct song structures, but i'm not naieve enough to think that this makes them anymore worthy than some band who make pretty little pop songs. I must state however that i'm not some pop obsessed fellow like Mariner. I just don't buy so easily into the idea of "alternative" music being more worthy.

Narc, I hoping you are not insinuating that i won't accept bands of different kinds, like we've been speaking of here, because i clearly do. One one hand I like GY!BE but i also like Hot Hot Heat. This is why i resent Ollie's accusation so much because i am very open-minded about music, i just realise this doesn't mean you have to like every leading band in every different genre.

I think you are taking the definition of "pop" too literally - it certainly does not apply to the bands you have listed, and as far as their popularity goes, they are anything but! But the word is open to interpretation, so I'll leave it at that.

As far as reaction goes, I think the sign of a good song is that you don't know exactly quite how to react to what you are hearing. It can make you want to dance yes, it can unnerve you, it can make you emotional etc etc. In this way I would say pop music is almost too formulaic, because the reaction is too natural.

I agree with some of your ideas, but I am a bit concerned at why you put so much stress on pop/dancing these days.

Narc' date=' I hoping you are not insinuating that i won't accept bands of different kinds, like we've been speaking of here, because i clearly do. One one hand I like GY!BE but i also like Hot Hot Heat. This is why i resent Ollie's accusation so much because i am very open-minded about music, i just realise this doesn't mean you have to like every leading band in every different genre.[/quote']

Not at all - I wholeheartedly agree. I think you'll find if you read my post again you will find that I am saying the same thing: that I accept different bands on their own merit, regardless of structure or conventionality.

Not at all - I wholeheartedly agree. I think you'll find if you read my post again you will find that I am saying the same thing: that I accept different bands on their own merit' date=' regardless of structure or conventionality.[/quote']

Yeah i know you were saying that you accept different bands on their own merit but it was the way you quoted me and then said that which made me think you were implying i don't.

Guest bluesxman
Sigur Ros' date=' Laeto, Mogwai, GSY!BE, Explosions in the Sky, Picastro, Pelican etc. all make popular music. Popular music is meant for dancing, that's why it is made with a rhythm section, and it shouldn't aspire to having the depth of classical music, because it can't. Just because you can dance to a band doesn't make them good, but they are at least fufilling the 1st function of pop.

I don't know what reaction you are supposed to have to post-rock when you hear it. I'd say you don't know either, Ollie, and that's why you were nodding your head to the drums when Picastro played, to try and connect with it in some way[/quote']

Sorry but that's way too generalised. Popular music is broken down into multitudes of different sub-genres that all serve a different purpose, one of which is the 'pop' genre which to me is the pretty bland bollocks that makes up teh majority of the charts.

Scissor Sisters don't even seem to fit the pop tag to me.

Sigur Ros' date=' Laeto, Mogwai, GSY!BE, Explosions in the Sky, Picastro, Pelican etc. all make popular music. Popular music is meant for dancing, that's why it is made with a rhythm section, and it shouldn't aspire to having the depth of classical music, because it can't. Just because you can dance to a band doesn't make them good, but they are at least fufilling the 1st function of pop.

I don't know what reaction you are supposed to have to post-rock when you hear it. I'd say you don't know either, Ollie, and that's why you were nodding your head to the drums when Picastro played, to try and connect with it in some way[/quote']

Ive tried my best to argue with this post but i just cant because i see a lot of sense in it. The only thing i will say is that i nodded my head simply because the music reached out and touched me.I wasnt trying to connect with it, it connected with me. I think that is an important difference to make.

I dont undertand your last comment though? Are you saying that I didnt understand what picastro were trying to do? I see no similarities at all between GSYBE , mogwai and sigur ros to that of Picastro.

And i find it funny that you say "On the surface" because that is precisely why many people attach themselves to bands like Sigur Ros' date=' because on the surface to simpletons they appear to present something of greater depth because they have longer songs, more obscure instruments, less direct song structures[/quote']

i truely hope that this is not why people are into these bands. I find it hard to belief that people would think a band has greater depth just because of 'surface' reasons like the songs are longer or because they have more instruments and less direct song structures. However you have to remember that these are also some of the elements that make a song have a deeper meaning.

This is why i resent Ollie's accusation so much because i am very open-minded about music' date=' i just realise this doesn't mean you have to like every leading band in every different genre.[/quote']

Im sorry , i was wrong to shout off at you and mariner for not opening your ears. Infact i cant impose a band on someone who doesnt like them. I have no right to say that you are not open minded. I apologise to everyone who i offended regarding this.

But christ this is a messageboard dont everything so seriously all cos its sometimes hard to see what people mean via the internet. The internet is no substitute for human interaction.

I think you are taking the definition of "pop" too literally - it certainly does not apply to the bands you have listed' date=' and as far as their popularity goes, they are anything but! But the word is open to interpretation, so I'll leave it at that.

As far as reaction goes, I think the sign of a good song is that you don't know exactly quite how to react to what you are hearing. It can make you want to dance yes, it can unnerve you, it can make you emotional etc etc. In this way I would say pop music is almost too formulaic, because the reaction is too natural.

I agree with some of your ideas, but I am a bit concerned at why you put so much stress on pop/dancing these days.[/quote']

I think this post sums up what needs to be said regarding the dancing matter. All the bands raised here dont all have to be danced to just because they fufill a broad definition of popular music. Popular music doesnt mean to dance. THe above bands can be repsonded to in a multitude ways and is probably why they are so widely appealing (hence acheiving popular music status).

Ive tried my best to argue with this post but i just cant because i see a lot of sense in it.

Well done for being up to admitting that. Jazz was out of line calling you an idiot, and I was out of line with the personal attack on RossP. Hey ho

I dont undertand your last comment though? Are you saying that I didnt understand what picastro were trying to do? I see no similarities at all between GSYBE , mogwai and sigur ros to that of Picastro

I'm not accusing you of not understanding them, I'm saying there is no point to what they do, it is beauty for beauty's sake. Classical music has both surface beauty and actual musical depth, so everything within the broadly "popular" category should try to do something else

To be fair to you, you did seem to genuinely enjoy Picastro, and at least they have vocal melodies which give their works a bit of interest

Well done for being up to admitting that. Jazz was out of line calling you an idiot' date=' and I was out of line with the personal attack on RossP. Hey ho

I'm not accusing [i']you of not understanding them, I'm saying there is no point to what they do, it is beauty for beauty's sake. Classical music has both surface beauty and actual musical depth, so everything within the broadly "popular" category should try to do something else

To be fair to you, you did seem to genuinely enjoy Picastro, and at least they have vocal melodies which give their works a bit of interest

What else should popular music try do to? Make you dance? Im a little confused to what you mean.

And of course i genuinely enjoyed Picastro, i genuinely enjoy a lot of music....

A discussion of a bands worth without just saying they are shit is hardly immature. And "There are so many people on this board that don't appreciate talent." What the hell do you mean by that?

Read the topic name. Are you that stupid?

Since when did you contribute to the opinions of people's views of sigur ros's performance at the carling academy? You didn't. This is the feedback forum you know. You obviously haven't seen the lstening charts on the aberdeen music audioscrobbler group. I rest my case.

Read the topic name. Are you that stupid?

Since when did you contribute to the opinions of people's views of sigur ros's performance at the carling academy? You didn't. This is the feedback forum you know. You obviously haven't seen the lstening charts on the aberdeen music audioscrobbler group. I rest my case.

But almost every thread expands beyond the core meaning of the title. It's to be expected that people will talk about the band more generally than just their performance that night especially as they are infrequently discussed elsewhere. And what's this about the audioscrobbler group? I don't use it or anything so don't know what you are talking about. And i'm not stupid, in fact I'm probably one of the more intelligent members of this messageboard.

But almost every thread expands beyond the core meaning of the title. It's to be expected that people will talk about the band more generally than just their performance that night especially as they are infrequently discussed elsewhere. And what's this about the audioscrobbler group? I don't use it or anything so don't know what you are talking about. And i'm not stupid' date=' in fact I'm probably one of the more intelligent members of this messageboard.[/quote']

So then whats the point of having different sections on the forum?