aberdeen-music

The KLF are the greatest publicity stunt artists in recent years - Discuss?

Ross

i'm totally with you there, the KLF were a brilliant project from the early work like the reworking of the doctor who theme, the book 'how to get a number one' and of course the white room album and its many remixes, duetting with the late Tammy Wynette, the burning of a million quid and their antics at the brit awards throwing dead sheep around and playing at the ceremony with extreme noise terror. i still wish that they had released the proposed follow up the black album with ENT, does anyone know if it was actually recorded?

i think the industry lacks things like this nowadays, everything seems to be geared towards shifting records and superstardom, The KLF were indeed geniuses and i shall dig out my copy of The White Room when I get home.

Also whilst playing with Extreme Noise Terror at The Brits they open fire with ak47s and blanks on the unsuspecting music notoriety.

Makes Jarvis Cocker`s publicity stunt look rather crap indeed!

Del did you know that Pop Will Eat Itself / Carter USM and KLF t shirts trade on Ebay from 15 upwards.... Some going for 50 or 60.

*GREBO*GREBO*GREBO*GREBO*GREBO*GREBO*GREBO*GREBO*

I was at a Jimmy Eat World gig ages ago and got offered 20 for the Carter USM - Sherrif Fatman T shirt that I own....

I asked if the guy was a fan but alas he`d never heard of them.....

The backprint is the infamous "You Fat Bastard" in BRIGHT ORANGE. - Love it.... That T shirt is now 10 years old.

Someone asked about my original I Love Grunge t-shirt also.....

Also I swear a member of the Diuretics is going to mug me in a dark alley for my Sub Pop hoodie. Either that or Vic Galloway will try and nab it.. The cheeky scamp.

ooh ross i think an early 90's revival is on the cards, i think bands around that time seemed to have more fun, everything is so formulated these days. and there were many different scenes for the 'kids' to get into - grebo, grunge, baggy etc.....

some of the music has dated but it still holds a place in my heart.

I urge everyone to read Bill Drummond's excellent book '45'. It answers the question that without doubt the two are fucking geniuses. Tales of burning a million pounds, humiliating Rachel Whiteread at the Turner Prize, building a giant cube from cans of Tennents Super, then distributing them to down and outs on New Years Eve... faking an Icelandic punk band... stringing up dead cows from pylons... throwing buckets of blood on corporate record execs... burying works of art... and that barely scratches the surface.

I was fortunate enough to see the 'FUCK THE MILLENNIUM' show at London's ICA in 1997. How many other gigs go as follows... a big picture of a brick projected onto the back wall whilst Irene Cara's 'Fame' plays on a detuned radio. Tony Wilson makes a speech. A piledriving beat starts, then Zodiac Mindwarp dressed in gold lame stands at a lecturn preaching. Drummond and Cauty appear in electric wheelchairs, dressed as old men in pyjamas, with giant rhino horns strapped to their heads. Drummonds appears to be caressing a dead swan, in some oblique reference to the death of Princess Diana. The next twenty-four minutes is a blur; I remember an opera singer, then a male voice choir dressed as fisherman singing 'To Those In Peril On The Sea'... then suddenly striking Liverpuddlian dockers walk onstage with placards chanting, 'FUCK THE MILLENNIUM! WE WANT IT NOW!' It was the most exhilarating event I've ever attended... On the way out we were all given large paper carrier bags with the legend 'FUCK THE MILLENNIUM' emblazoned across it. Inside was a copy of their single, a t-shirt, stickers and whatnot all with the same slogan. Afterwards hundreds of people crowding the tube with these bags must have been pretty freaky for the general public.

A wee nugget of info for fans > A film is being produced; an odd road trip up the A9... the producers are trying to get Drummond to star in it. Watch this space, Planet Boo is involved in the soundtrack.

So the answer to the question is HELL YES!

I`ve just dug out all my KLF albums and singles.... The Chill Out is Missing... Shall have to make a trip to One Up....

Although I agree....The Grebo scene was ace.... Absolutely no fashion sence required.....

Got a Ned`s T somewhere with "Not Sleeping Around" across the front.....

Carter USM have a song called 90s Revival..... it`s on the "Starry Eyed and Bollock naked" B sides collection.

The 3am Eternal perfromance with ENT has to be the best Brits moment ever!

How my ears bled when ENT played The Metro that same year.

Justified and Ancient was a superb track - still have the 12inch remix kicking about the flat.

Ross, I noticed on your Carter & The USM thread that Sheriff Fatman wasn't included in The Best Of track listing. Wasn't that a b-side anyway?

twas an art statement, look at the amount of money in the world that is either sitting doing nothing or being literally wasted? the film is hilarious i saw it one night very late on channel 4 (where else?)

and the machine gun incident at the brits was hilarious as well, you know for a while the brits was actually worth watching for incidents like that....

now its just corporate backslapping, oh i suppose in reality its always been like that hasn't it?