aberdeen-music

The Machinist

Afro Droid

Guest Logan

I can't belive I gave up the chance to see this movie to watch The Ring 2! I feel so disgusted in myself! >_<

Mind you, it was that or spend an extra hour roaming around Glasgow with no money...

I so want to see this. Christian Bale is the shit. The new Batman is great, have you seen it? (question directed at everyone.... Not even going to bother asking Logan... he HAS simply seen it I pressume :p )

***SPOILER ALERT****

Right, I've had a think about it - I assume the fat man is some sort of respresentation of Trevor's guilt over the hit and run; and that the story is told in a non-linear way. The only bit I don't get is how he went to the fair with the kid and waitress - was this a halucination, or some sort of flashback to visiting the fair with his own mother? It's good, I'll get more from repeated viewings.

Right' date=' I've had a think about it - I assume the fat man is some sort of respresentation of Trevor's guilt over the hit and run; and that the story is told in a non-linear way. The only bit I don't get is how he went to the fair with the kid and waitress - was this a halucination, or some sort of flashback to visiting the fair with his own mother? It's good, I'll get more from repeated viewings.[/quote']

Fuck, you know, I never really thought about that.

Now i'll have to go watch it again.

:p

I think so. Give it coupl'a weeks and it'll go 7.95 ex-rental in Global' date=' and get Scott to buy it with his staff discount. Bargain!

EDIT: That was a reply to Sharon[/quote']

Scott is no longer a global... he is a silverscreen... DVD always sucks him in.

So I get discount off of new things... he has to buy them though.

I should get it for 25% off retail. Bargain.

I shall purchase. I am getting Napolean Dynamite brand new for 7.50. Woot!

Guest Logan
I so want to see this. Christian Bale is the shit. The new Batman is great' date=' have you seen it? (question directed at everyone.... Not even going to bother asking Logan... he HAS simply seen it I pressume :p )[/quote']

I only went to the midnight showing and bought the movie on DVD from eBay.....:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Logan

Finally seen it now and in the words of Ronald Weasly it's "Bloody Brilliant!"

***spoilers***

Right' date=' I've had a think about it - I assume the fat man is some sort of respresentation of Trevor's guilt over the hit and run; and that the story is told in a non-linear way. The only bit I don't get is how he went to the fair with the kid and waitress - was this a halucination, or some sort of flashback to visiting the fair with his own mother? It's good, I'll get more from repeated viewings.[/quote']

exactly my interpretation of the movie also. At times it does make this a little too obvious, but maybe it's just the fact that the tagline is something like "Fightclub meets Memento".

Enjoyed it immensely and wish I watched it more than once.

Vik was thinking that the Hooker wasn't real either, but I convinced her she was as she could see that it was Trevor in the picture and not Ivan. Speaking of Ivan....did his name mean anything? I can only make out Vain, but that doesn't seem to be Trevor at all....perhaps he was though.

I'd love to watch this movie with Directors commentary, would make it even more interesting!!

Guest bluesxman

****SPOILERS****

I finally watched it last night after having it sitting by the telly for a couple weeks....

The woman and kid at the fair bit confused me initially but i'm now thinking he was imagining taking them into a good memory from his childhood as a way of making amends in his mind for the car accident - while he is taking the photo he has a reaction as it is the same as the pic of him and his mother. The kid's fit in the ride could be the dream breaking down. Fat guy as manifestation of guilt seems fair enough, the fact he has the f**ked up hand maybe suggests he is also becoming a manifestation of guilt at the machine accident. Bale is significantly fatter in the flashback scenes which implies the guilt of the car accident is causing him to lose weight to change from the fatter person who caused the accident.

Has anyone read The Idiot by Dostoevsky, as it features prominently on his coffee table and he is reading it at one point, can't help but think the plot of that book has been taken in some way to have significance in this movie???

May need to watch again but that's my tuppence worth for now....

Guest bluesxman
****SPOILERS****

Has anyone read The Idiot by Dostoevsky' date=' as it features prominently on his coffee table and he is reading it at one point, can't help but think the plot of that book has been taken in some way to have significance in this movie???[/quote']

OK have been investigating, think the Dostoevsky reference was more subtle, found teh folowing on his book Crime and Punishment -

"Raskolnikov escalates down a spiral of insanity and loneliness. The realization of his mistakes takes a toll on his well being and he must confess his crime of murder before he loses all hope. The moral issues in this novel are ones of great proportion. Man cannot survive completely alone, and he cannot instill his will over others, when he has nothing left to will, he is nothing, and death is the suitable solution. Raskolnikov almost comes to this conclusion, but a woman gives him hope. Without the support from Sonia, he would have perished. One of Dostoevsky's aims for this novel was disproving the theories of Nietzsche and Hegel in their philosophy of the Uber man. Both believed that man can become extraordinary through their will and actions, and are therefore above the law of man. However, no man is above the law, and Dostoevsky uses Raskolnikov to prove that theory, as Raskolnikov's life becomes more painful to endure. In the end, his confession is his salvation, and once again, he enters the world of humanity."

Seems familiar, no????

Guest Logan
OK have been investigating' date=' think the Dostoevsky reference was more subtle, found teh folowing on his book Crime and Punishment -

"Raskolnikov escalates down a spiral of insanity and loneliness. The realization of his mistakes takes a toll on his well being and he must confess his crime of murder before he loses all hope. The moral issues in this novel are ones of great proportion. Man cannot survive completely alone, and he cannot instill his will over others, when he has nothing left to will, he is nothing, and death is the suitable solution. Raskolnikov almost comes to this conclusion, but a woman gives him hope. Without the support from Sonia, he would have perished. One of Dostoevsky's aims for this novel was disproving the theories of Nietzsche and Hegel in their philosophy of the Uber man. Both believed that man can become extraordinary through their will and actions, and are therefore above the law of man. However, no man is above the law, and Dostoevsky uses Raskolnikov to prove that theory, as Raskolnikov's life becomes more painful to endure. In the end, his confession is his salvation, and once again, he enters the world of humanity."

Seems familiar, no????[/quote']

ahhh! Very good! :up:

• 4 weeks later...