aberdeen-music

Eric Euan, Red Man Walking & Pylot @ The Tunnels

Cracking gig at The Tunnels this coming Monday (27/06/05)

eric euan

(eric euan are a five piece alternative rock band based in Aberdeen. They have been performing their honest and powerful music to an eager, music hungry public for around two years now.

Infusing their five individual sounds, eric euan produce unique orchestrated guitar melodies creating an intense and highly individual melodic style. The three guitar dynamic, combined with a solid, highly skilled rhythm section, brings a delicate yet epic sonic presence.

An established live act deriving from the extensive experience the members share, eric euan have had the privilege of playing alongside established acts such as Wilt, The Delgados, Malibu Stacy, Cayto, Mountain Men Anonymous and the Madisuns to name only a few.

Influences come from bands and musicians such as Fugazi, Motorpsycho, The Dirty Three, Talking Heads, Frank Black, Cable, Alice in Chains, Trans-Am, The Wedding Present and Billy Cobham.)

Red Man Walking

(Though commonly mistaken as a play on words for a famous movie title, Red Man Walking have been anything but mistaken for a thrilling and memorable act!

The Scottish quintets rise has been nothing less than meteoric. Instead of walking, theyve hit the ground running!

Within six months of working together, they were signed to an EP deal by UK indie label, Fat Hippy Records (www.fathippyrecords.co.uk) and on the strength of said EP, Four Takes For John, the band landed a two week mini tour of the US during the summer of 2003, where they enthralled and enamored US audiences just as they have been doing in their native Scotland)

Pylot

(Pylots influences could be guessed from whatever CD is blasting from the stereo, be it the sleazy visceral guitars of Josh Homme; the skin pummelling of John Bonham, or Jim Morrisons powerful and seductively gritty vocals. In an area of predominantly britpop-inspired bands, Pylot, who formed in the summer of 2002, are a rarity they sweat hard and they rock harder and yet retain their infectiously melodic roots, attracting fans of rock, metal, punk and indie alike. With lyricist and vocalist JPs idols being such songwriters as Chris Cornell, Jim Morrison and Billy Corgan, the lyrics of Pylot songs are likewise ambiguous and thought provoking, and their gigs are also neither an open and shut case.

"Pylot are pure energy rock, its pretty much as pure as it comes, every instrument rammed real hard to make a real punch the air type of sound"

www.reccmusic.co.uk

"the guitar sound that guitarist Kev had conjured up with his 1970s guitar amp was making me drool. A thick but cutting sound that just made the songs sound big. Almost like Foo Fighters guitar sound, but i would say heavier and more forceful. In the more delicate parts of their songs the band delved into Nirvana territory with slow picking and minor chords. The use of the odd Metal style riff added another edge to their sound.they had good, hard rocking songs and lots of personality.. "

opendoormusic.co.uk

"Pylot hail from Cumbernauld but their transatlantic sound betrays their influences. They have taken oil stained Seattle grunge and polished it with a shiny pop metal cloth, huge slabs of distorted rock crash and collide under searing vocals, torn from the shredded throat of vocalist JP."

Daily Record. 23rd January 2004)

"Thought I'd come down and.... Oooh! Naked boys!" patter of female feet....

My friend Lucy

Doors at 8pm. Door Tax 3

Click on the names for more info or sound bites

Hope to see you. :cheers:

Pylot were actually THE worst thing EVER! Totally uninspired, unoriginal and contrived. The singer screamed like Cornell but couldn't even match that talentless piece of shit, never mind greats like Corgan and Morrisson who would feel totally embarrassed to mentioned in the same sentence. They didn't even have one single catchy tune. And the singer waxes his chest and two of them were wearing shorts!

hehehehe

Pylot were actually THE worst thing EVER! Totally uninspired' date=' unoriginal and contrived. The singer screamed like Cornell but couldn't even match that talentless piece of shit, never mind greats like Corgan and Morrisson who would feel totally embarrassed to mentioned in the same sentence. They didn't even have one single catchy tune. And the singer waxes his chest and two of them were wearing shorts![/quote']

Inspired critique! Seriously! Never seen the band in question but what a laugh. You should be published Mr Jazz :D

Had to laugh at that, not because it was funny though...after all the criticism, you then go on to say Chris Cornell is a talentless piece of shit. Not to your taste he may be, but Cornell certainly isn't talentless....so if I consider your point of view in this light, well it just makes me WANT to see Pylot.... and don't be so ridiculous, of COURSE the singer doesn't wax his chest, is a fine-haired torso such a rare thing in Aberdeen or something? Even my old dad has a pre-pubescenteque chest, and I seriously doubt he waxes, not a 50 year old man who squirms at papercuts..

Shorts - I didn't see the gig, but I can guarantee the drummer would've been one of the guys wearing shorts, so I feel I have to stick up for him on that point - its never fun to perch on a leather drum stool drenched in your own sweat during a gig, shorts seem to alleviate this discomfort, sorry if it didn't look "hip" enough for you, he wears them for comfort, not for image, and on that note:

Middle partings - Would you prefer they each force-gelled their hair into spikes or side partings in a Franz Ferdinand "oooh-we're-so-angular" stylee?

I've been to quite a number of Pylot gigs, and sure, you can definitely spot their influences, but face it, you'd be hard pushed to find a band who DOESN'T sound a bit like someone else in some way, especially this mincey 80s trend that's lately been polluting my ears. If Pylot don't conform to your taste in music then fine, but I thought a lot of the criticism was uncalled for.... Shame on you :nono::nono:

Could you possibly be in Pylot? And side partings have always been the superior parting ever since the victorian age. Image is more important than comfort hence why the singer boy went thru a painful wax session (and i'm sure he piles on the piz buin too). And there is a difference between sounding like other bands and being a band who have absolutely no idiosyncracies to distinguish them. I don't necessarily dislike the style of music but they do it in such a bland and non-desript manner. No shame.

And Cumbernauld has heaps of Brit-pop bands in addition to Pylot!?! Wot a shithole.

Och wheesht, no, I'm not in Pylot, I know them, not to mention the fact that I'm a girl/lady (whatever a female is when she's 24 *whimper*)! That's about the 5th time someone has assumed I'm a bloke,I'm beginning to wonder if there's something masculine about my computer-speak.... John Paul (singer) was just back from his 'olidays, (guess where he was from this face :gringo: ) hence the wee glow he had. Piz Buin indeed, cheeky monkey. I happen to think jazz music is pretty much all bland and non-descript, so I suppose we'll never come to an agreement over music in general. I AM a wearer of a side parting though, but that's mainly down to the fact I have a shocking coo's lick. And Cumbernauld - OF COURSE it's a shithole, there's no denying that, unfortunately its overrun with Oasis-style wannabe bands, although I'm sure they're presently morphing into something more currently "acceptable", like Bloc Party or something similarly horrifying. Let's turn this discussion around - what do YOU like, local bands I mean?

Och wheesht' date=' no, I'm not in Pylot, I know them, not to mention the fact that I'm a girl/lady (whatever a female is when she's 24 *whimper*)! That's about the 5th time someone has assumed I'm a bloke,I'm beginning to wonder if there's something masculine about my computer-speak.... John Paul (singer) was just back from his 'olidays, (guess where he was from this face :gringo: ) hence the wee glow he had. Piz Buin indeed, cheeky monkey. I happen to think jazz music is pretty much all bland and non-descript, so I suppose we'll never come to an agreement over music in general. I AM a wearer of a side parting though, but that's mainly down to the fact I have a shocking coo's lick. And Cumbernauld - OF COURSE it's a shithole, there's no denying that, unfortunately its overrun with Oasis-style wannabe bands, although I'm sure they're presently morphing into something more currently "acceptable", like Bloc Party or something similarly horrifying. Let's turn this discussion around - what do YOU like, local bands I mean?[/quote']

First of all i do not like jazz music. The name comes from the Clash song. By local bands i assume you mean Aberdeen bands? Would you even know any of them? Well i quite like Dedalus (altho they are no more), Copy Haho, the Jinx and the Kitchen Cynics.