aberdeen-music

Cheap way to repair a speaker puncture??

Hey,

Does anyone know a cheap way to repair a puncture in a speaker? I keep needing to tape down the injection cone on one of my speakers, it sounds fine, but the tape always eventually goes (especially if I'm playing loud music) and I then get a raspy sound out the speaker, I'm sure this can't be good for the speaker or the amplifier, anyone know of ways to fix this? Most speaker companies say once its punctured its dead forever, maybe it isn't punctured, it just needs some tightening with gaffa tape and its sorted? Anyone know?!

Cheers

i cant really think of anything, anything more permanent than sticky tape like glue would probably affect the vibrations of the cone and change the sound a bit

do it lemmy style, stab it with a pencil a couple more times for the rock n roll ;)

David

Hey' date='

Does anyone know a cheap way to repair a puncture in a speaker? I keep needing to tape down the injection cone on one of my speakers, it sounds fine, but the tape always eventually goes (especially if I'm playing loud music) and I then get a raspy sound out the speaker, I'm sure this can't be good for the speaker or the amplifier, anyone know of ways to fix this? Most speaker companies say once its punctured its dead forever, maybe it isn't punctured, it just needs some tightening with gaffa tape and its sorted? Anyone know?!

Cheers[/quote']

Get a reconing kit from the speaker manufacturer. Much cheaper than getting them to do it or buying a new one.

Other than that, I haven't found any sure-fire way of sorting such problems except on a "let's just get through the gig and deal with it later" kind of bodge.