aberdeen-music

CBGB's in trouble...

CBGB OWNER LAUNCHES FESTIVAL IDEA TO SAVE CLUB

The longtime owner of New York's historic CBGB nightclub is launching a last-ditch effort to save the punk mecca - and he's asking the acts who got their big breaks there to help him.

HILLY KRISTAL is set to launch a month-long festival of punk icons in a bid to raise the funds he needs to save his club.

The CBGB founder and owner is hoping to host a 30-date festival of big-name acts this summer (05) and has invited PATTI SMITH and former TALKING HEADS star DAVID BYRNE among others to help him.

He says, "If the BEASTIE BOYS are around, I think they'd play. GREEN DAY came in one night and just played. Maybe they'd come back."

Kristal has been fighting to keep the club open for months after his landlord, the non-profit Bowery Resident's Committee, announced plans to double the rent for the space.

He adds, "They want me out."

CBGB became a punk mecca in the late 1970s and early 1980s when acts like the RAMONES, Talking Heads and BLONDIE made the venue their New York home.

I've got the video of Green Day at that one off late night drunken appearance at CBGB's, they still suit playing that size of venue, if they pull this off and get them back in, I'm selling one of my kids to pay for my flights!! :D

I've got the video of Green Day at that one off late night drunken appearance at CBGB's' date=' they still suit playing that size of venue, if they pull this off and get them back in, I'm selling one of my kids to pay for my flights!! :D[/quote']

I did my part & went drinking there late last year. It's a shit-hole of the highest order - and that's what makes it special.

I've been a few times (to the various bits of it now), and will be in NYC this summer for a radio session, so might pop along again. My abiding memory will be of being next to a speaker, and sticking half-chewed bits of beermat into my right ear to avoid going deaf, but then not being able to fish them out for a few (worrying) days.

I've been a few times (to the various bits of it now)' date=' and will be in NYC this summer for a radio session, so might pop along again. My abiding memory will be of being next to a speaker, and sticking half-chewed bits of beermat into my right ear to avoid going deaf, but then not being able to fish them out for a few (worrying) days.[/quote']

The toilets are a site to behold - the toilet bowl on the platform was a particula favourite.