aberdeen-music

Ace Prague + Berlin Hostels

RossP

If anyone is going to Prague or Berlin this year, here is the best Hostels that i've stayed in.

Prague- Clown and Bard

This one is a wee bit out of the center, about a 20minute walk, or 2mins on the underground. But it is immense, the bar is brilliant, the 36bed dorm is amazing, and attitudes of the staff and travellers is so chilled out. Every night i was there we went out with about 30 people from the hostel, purely through random chat and drinking games. Quality.

Berlin- Circus

Much like the Clown and Bard, in that it is totally chilled out and everyone is super friendly. Bar is excellent, last night they had open mike where people were playing jeff buckley et al. I contributed with a totally drunken bass rendition of 'New Birds' by Arab Strap which went down rather well, thank god!!

Note:avoid the Generator Hostel in Berlin, it really is pish.

Now if ony i can find some David HassleHoff, it really is impossible to find!!

Now if ony i can find some David HassleHoff' date=' it really is impossible to find!![/quote']

Yeah, the Berliners do seem to deny the huge influence that the hof has had on their recent history. In fact, they seem to deny soft rock in general (one exception to this being the steakhouse we were in on Alexanderplatz, which not only had soft rock, but muzak soft rock).

It's an officially sanctioned attitude apparently: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3465301.stm

Berlin is, however, ace.

Awesome' date=' I'm going to Prague and that sounds really cool! Was it cheap and also did you happen to stay in Munich at all because I think I'm skipping north Germany for the sausage and pretzel filled Bavaria :cheers:[/quote']

We stayed in the 36 bed dorm, which is the cheapest, and the best in my opinion. Its a really good way of meeting people. It was about 6 pounds per night, but its best if you book a week or two in advance to make sure you get a bed. beer is about 35p in the bar for a pint, oh yeah.

I'll try to find out tonight what the best hostel in Munich is, there's bound to be someone in the bar who's been there.

I just found a sexshop today around the corner of my Berlin hostel, it just gets better and better :cheers:

Don't know of hostels in Munich, but it's a *superb* city. Responsible for me starting drinking it was. And you get your beer in proper, clinky-together, "Prost" steins. We kept asking in Berlin, and nowhere had them. Several Berliners also either 1) denied that Bavaria was part of Germany or 2) denied that Munich actually existed (which made me wonder where I'd spent that collective 4 weeks of my life, but there you go...).

Stayed in one of this chain's hostels in Berlin, it was fine if all you're looking for is somewhere to crash at the end of the day, and being next to the Hauptbahnhof, is pretty much bang on the city centre.

Be careful which parts of the Englischer Garten you walk through btw, as part of it is a nudist colony, and the sight of several hundred octogenarian Germans with their lads out is nae pleasant.

i may well just do that. I'll be on the soft drink though.

I saw an amazing post rock guy last night in Berlin, in King Kong Klub. Reminded me a lot of Andy le Kipp, but he was a whole whole heap better. absolute quality. Ended up the night at a German Techno club that was open till 8am in the morning, that was a crazy crazy night.

Guest stuartmaxwell

i too will be on the softys

sounds like you have had a blast, i have missed you. getting trolleyed in abdn just isnt the same without you (its still a whole load of fun mind you :D )