aberdeen-music

blues band members needed!

sonhenry

Hi- I'm on my way to Aberdeen and want to get a jump on getting a band organized. I'm looking for a drummer, bass player and keys for a blues band.

I'm an old school (but not old) guitar player, singer with a couple of CD's out on indie labels. We'd be playing lots of original material and some covers- all high energy party stuff.

Email or this forum probably is the best way to communicate for now!

Cheers-

Son Henry

son_henry@yahoo.com

Excellent questions, thanks!

First, I'm much more interested in how well someone plays than how old they are, old is fine, young is fine too. FWIW I just clocked 40 and right now I've got a bass player that's 56 and a sax player that's 22. They do a great job holding up their end of the stage and that's the important thing.

Second, I'm serious about music, but I've always had people in my band that did a great job juggling a day job, family and being in the band. I do it too. So, we always work around schedule problems, etc. A day job is no problem. I can give you more details about how much we're playing here, but I'm not sure that's important because I have no idea how frequently we'll be able to play where you are. I wouldn't let a day job talk you out of this though.

The style I gravitate towards is a hybrid of old howling wolf and elmore james house rocking music is probably the best description- right now I'm playing a healthy balance of original and odd covers. Hollywood Fats, Lightning Slim, Little Walter are some major influences. Don't get rattled if your worried i'm looking for a bunch of old guys in fedoras. It's energetic party musc if it's done right and truthfully, it lives and dies by the bass and drums. Does that help? Around here it's been a popular style because it's not old fart music at all, most of the people that turn out to see us are 30 or younger and they dance till they drop. That may or may not translate to where you are, but we'll see i guess.

Oh, Alaska is a great place, kinda cold and dark 10 months out of the year, but you can catch fish that weigh as much as a medium-sized dog. I not going to miss rolling my amp through a few feet of snow though.

kinda rambling, sorry- i'm not usually up this early.

let me know if this gets up and running. Especially if you've got a harp player that sounds like Little Walter...

That's a deal. Little Walter though, hmmmmm. Not too many harp players like Little Walter. Kim Wilson can get close, Mark Hummel perhaps. The rest of us are mere mortals. Walter rules the roost!