aberdeen-music

Todays' Radio Standards (a small rant)

Guest pop-notmyface

Guest pop-notmyface

(please don't get upset if i mention a band that you like as an example)

Just listening to radio all day long may make some people realise how retired some of todays music is. First of all, having instruments in a song that often do not belong there. Take for example artist deciding to have a backround melody played by a string section or the piano, but why? The result is tediously boring songs by the likes of Busted, Embrace, Hope Of The States and so on. Some bands get away with it, like Muse or Coldplay, because when M. Bellamy plays the piano he means business. Refused got away with it on the song Tannhauser/Derive, in which a single cello is pitted against heavy drums to devastating effect. The Manics barely get away with it because they've released great songs such as Motorcycle Emptiness and If You Tolerate..., although their new single is their poorest effort in a long time. Please, no more subliminal piano or string melodies in songs which clearly sound wrong.

Then theres r n' b and hip-hop. All that "new" stuff released by the likes of Jamelia, Beyonce, 50 Cent, Black Eyed Peas and so on sounds the same as when Destiny's Child released The Writing's On The Wall some odd 7 or 8 years ago. All we get today is overused beats and no soul.

Does anyone notice that commercial music is moving backwards rather than forwards? This inevitably puts the music in a position where it shouldn't be. Done.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i think the beats are getting better in a lot of commercial music, the neptunes are great, just listen to the marching snare beat in the new destiny's child song, it's ace!

(please don't get upset if i mention a band that you like as an example)

Just listening to radio all day long may make some people realise how retired some of todays music is. First of all' date=' having instruments in a song that often do not belong there. Take for example artist deciding to have a backround melody played by a string section or the piano, but why? The result is tediously boring songs by the likes of Busted, Embrace, Hope Of The States and so on. Some bands get away with it, like Muse or Coldplay, because when M. Bellamy plays the piano he means business. Refused got away with it on the song Tannhauser/Derive, in which a single cello is pitted against heavy drums to devastating effect. The Manics barely get away with it because they've released great songs such as Motorcycle Emptiness and If You Tolerate..., although their new single is their poorest effort in a long time. Please, no more subliminal piano or string melodies in songs which clearly sound wrong.

Then theres r n' b and hip-hop. All that "new" stuff released by the likes of Jamelia, Beyonce, 50 Cent, Black Eyed Peas and so on sounds the same as when Destiny's Child released The Writing's On The Wall some odd 7 or 8 years ago. All we get today is overused beats and no soul.

Does anyone notice that commercial music is moving backwards rather than forwards? This inevitably puts the music in a position where it shouldn't be. Done.[/quote']

The off license we went into today was playing Mylo so fuck all y'all! It was Northsound apparently! As long as they play songs we approve of as we buy booze it's all good!

I agree with the points above! I hear Refused with that single cello so much on the radio that it's ridiculous! It really tees me off!