aberdeen-music

Dream Magazine (USA) reviews 'Sundaram'

Alan Cynic

This review will be in issue 5 of the California based 'Dream' magazine.............

Philip Johnston Sundaram (demos) Big thanks to our pal Alan Davidson of the Kitchen Cynics for sending this brilliant self produced CDR of seven demo tracks by Alan's friend and neighbor Philip Johnston. Philip has often accompanied the Kitchen Cynics, and recently worked with Alasdair Roberts and Will Oldham. This is really something special; though bare bones, Johnston's songwriting gifts really shine though brightly. Favoring a jazz-folk sound, with sitar-laced elements (an Indian prayer ends this EP) and roots in Witchseason, Bert Jansch, Pentangle, Saint Nick, and more; but making it all fresh through his own energy and invention. I eagerly look forward to seeing what a real production will sound like coming from this more than promising young artist.

George Parsons

Dream magazine #5

http://www.dreamgeo.com

• 6 months later...
Guest Zeenat Aman

Thank you Alan for sending out my demo...

They got the Witchseason, Jansch etc influences right, nice review.

I have two new pieces in the making. I've noticed I use 3/4 time signature a lot, hmmm.

:gringo:

Here's some Dream Magazine info (new issue just out)......

Dream Magazine #5 is here!

This huge 128 page issue features exclusive interviews with: Robert Wyatt and his wife, illustrator, lyricist, and muse Alfreda Benge, Masaki Batoh of legendary Japanese band Ghost, Tom Rapp of Pearls Before Swine, part two of our talk with Terry Riley, an extensive chat with Pat Thomas of San Francisco band Mushroom, the singular John Trubee, our pal Jose Marmeleira talks to Sun City Girls, we talk to Marissa Nadler, Elf Power, Bipolaroid, there's a long lost phone call to the late great illustrator Rick Griffin, Jonny Trunk of Trunk Records, longtime contributor Sasa Rakezic aka Aleksandar Zograf talks to illustrating icon Gary Panter, Lee Jackson delivers his estimation of the most harrowing baker's dozen recordings ever with his 13 Nightmares, we talk to Mats Gustafsson about the late lamented Swedish 'zine The Broken Face, and he delivers a whole section of his inimitable record reviews, he also conducts interviews with Ed Hardy of Eclipse Records, Finnish explorers Kemialliset Ysvt, and Australian band the Lost Domain, our friend Nuno Robles talks to Donovan Quinn of Verdure, we also talk to Crashing Dreams, Swedish band Testbild!, Russian singer Julia Vorontsova, Tinsel, and as always there are an excess of record reviews, as well as DVD and publication reviews.

The complimentary CD included with issue #5 features excellent previously unreleased material by: Piano Magic, Volcano the Bear, Bipolaroid, Verdure, Mushroom, Julia Vorontsova, the Lost Domain, Jack Rose, AqPop, Testbild!, there's also a great out of print John Trubee instrumental and Bob Moss lets us use a brilliant previously unrecorded Tom Rapp song from Bob's album "Folknik II" on Soundcore/ Woods Cross.