aberdeen-music

a tale of two sisters....

sludge

There was a good website that discussed it all somewhere, but I can't remember it.

Basically, ***SPOILERS*** Su-Mi's mad as a fucking hatter and blames her step mother for driving a rift into her family and probably for the death of her mother and sister. She's back from hospital, supposedly cured, but starts freaking out - She imagines her sister is still alive and that her step mother is still in the house (hence why step-mother and father never speak - Perhaps they've split up due to the severe and destructive illness Su-Mi displays - and why both her, her sister and her step mom have their period on the same day). Long story short, Su-Mi goes mad in the house *again*, her dad turns up with the real, live, step-mother at the end and she goes back to the mad house. But, being an asian film and we've been expecting ghosts, so the ghost of Su-Yeon crawls from the cupboard she died in to take her revenge on the woman that left her trapped under her dead mother. Or something.

From what i could gather, had split personalities as the step mother, like when you see her beating the shit out of the bag, when the 'step mom' and dad are in the bed (he's fully clothed and leaves to sleep through the house - nothing sexual) and when he puts Su-Mi down on the sofa, goes to find medicine and returns to the step mum BUT isn't freaked out.

The only thing i didn't get is why the real mum died, (chronologically first death?), as everyone else in the family seemed to still be alive.. no ghosts-types kicking about.

On an asian-related film angle, Old Boy is being shown in the Belmont from the 5th of november.

The only thing i didn't get is why the real mum died' date=' (chronologically first death?), as everyone else in the family seemed to still be alive.. no ghosts-types kicking about.

[/quote']

I think it's a family history of mental illness, and that the step mom was in fact the real mom's nurse - Hence Sun-Mi's resentment when her mum commits suicide (chronoligically the first death, yes) and triggering her subsequent descent into madness. I can't fully work out the ghosts (especially the little girl), nor the dinner sequence with the copious vomitting.

From what i could remember

Spoliers

Si-Mi's mum has a terminal illness, hangs herself after suspecting the dad to be having an affair with the nurse. The other sister tries to save her, but ends up being crushed to death by the wardrobe. The step-mum (nurse) leaves them to die. Su-Mi has a nervous breakdown. When she's admited out of hospital the father and step mum take time appart.

The only two people in the house are the Dad and Su-Mi, Su-Yeon and the Mothers ghosts haunt the house. Su-Mi has heaps of psycho episodes where she assumes the role of her step mum, and herself. The dad finds her trying to kill the step mum that doesn't exist, calls over the nurse (step mum) and they admit her back to the hospital. The step mum feels guilty, goes back to the house and gets murdered by the avengeful ghost of Su-Yeon...

Maybe?

I think she was probably mortified by the behaviour of Su-Mi, with all her blood boiling i guess she would have needed her medication; which she eventually got and calmed her down. Although it's a bit thin, unless there's something we're missing out.

The 'guests' were in the house at the end of the film (furthest back in time), but by that time i was so mind-fucked i wasn't really taking much notice of everything. Maybe it gave more clues there...

I think she was probably mortified by the behaviour of Su-Mi' date=' with all her blood boiling i guess she would have needed her medication; which she eventually got and calmed her down. Although it's a bit thin, unless there's something we're missing out.

The 'guests' were in the house at the end of the film (furthest back in time), but by that time i was so mind-fucked i wasn't really taking much notice of everything. Maybe it gave more clues there...[/quote']

Yeah, I have only watched it the once. Next time I'll hold the remote in one hand, a pen in the other, and take comprehensive notes. Maybe.

Or we can just wait for the eventual Tartan Asia Extreme release and copy their usually quite good film notes.