aberdeen-music

AKA The Fox

Sky

After months and months of intending to go see AKA The Fox play, I finally managed to end up at their Snafu gig on Thursday totally by accident. I wasn't disappointedthey're fantastic live.

I'd had them recommended to me by a friend who has good music taste, but I wasn't really sure what to expect: they have a saxophonist, andwhilst I know trumpets are the woodwind of choiceI was worried that they'd be some silly-silly-ska-music type of outfit. Thankfully, they're not.

The play a sort of Kasabianesque dance-rock, with very funky, elastic bass and some fantastically urgent drumming; the guitarist seems to be slightly weaker on her instrument, but does apply some wonderfully metallic shards of guitar to the proceedings. They also have some very good, jazz-inflected slower tracks, where the saxophone takes centre stage.

I'm not usually this gushing (or unfocused) with my praise, but I strongly recommend that you go see them some time: they're very good.

A question to members of AKA The Fox: Do you have any plans to put out a single/album/EP any time soon?

Guest Cowboy Dan

Actually Daniel. A saxophone is a woodwind instrument, the only one from the woodwind family that's made of brass. It has a reed.

A trumpet however, is of course a brass instrument....

After months and months of intending to go see AKA The Fox play' date=' I finally managed to end up at their Snafu gig on Thursday totally by accident. I wasn't disappointedthey're fantastic live.

I'd had them recommended to me by a friend who has good music taste, but I wasn't really sure what to expect: they have a saxophonist, andwhilst I know trumpets are the woodwind of choiceI was worried that they'd be some silly-silly-ska-music type of outfit. Thankfully, they're not.

The play a sort of Kasabianesque dance-rock, with very funky, elastic bass and some fantastically urgent drumming; the guitarist seems to be slightly weaker on her instrument, but does apply some wonderfully metallic shards of guitar to the proceedings. They also have some very good, jazz-inflected slower tracks, where the saxophone takes centre stage.

I'm not usually this gushing (or unfocused) with my praise, but I strongly recommend that you go see them some time: they're [i']very good.

A question to members of AKA The Fox: Do you have any plans to put out a single/album/EP any time soon?

they are very very very good indeed, they're like some groovy hybrid Frankenstein's monster of a band thats been created from the musical DNA of the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Public Image Limited, Happy Mondays and the KLF, they deserve to go far because they're very talented indeed, they have some cracking songs, they've got their flaws yeah but i think they make up for it with the catchiness of their tunes, they don't take themselves seriously and they ain't trying to be arty-farty, they're just up there doing their music and not being egotistical about it either, i like the fact that they're just being themselves and striving to be an individualistic band and not trying to lump themselves into a particular scene/category, i hope they make an album because i'd like to hear for myself how much musical range they have ;)

best wishes,

el flosso :up:

You... ? Pay...?

Pfft...

I've seen them many a time now... saw then a week/2 weeks (I'm shit at judging time) at Drummonds.... was delish. I like Tina's new hair too :p

To my knowledge... they are in the process of recording an album at the moment, I

m not too sure of the details so will leave that up to an actual band member to inform us all of that.

Meow.