aberdeen-music

Transatlantic

jester1470

Despite frequently saying that I'm not into prog I have been listening to the first Transatlantic album again after a gap of a while, and i have to say what an amazing work of musicianship.

For those who don't know Transatlantic is a modern prog supergroup whose members are:

Roine Stoltz (the flower kings) - guitar

Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) - drums

Neil Morse (ex-Spock's Beard now solo) - key and vocals

Pete Trewavas (Marillion) - bass

It is a completely self indulgent and superb album, clocking in at 1 hr 17 minutes despite only having 5 songs. The album is called SMPTe (made up of their initials). The band is called Transatlantic cos 2 of the members live in Europe, 2 in the states. They released a follow up album, Bridge Across Forever which i was sadly never able to get into, they then split up.

The band only ever played 19 times and only twice in the UK, I was lucky enough to see them on one of those dates, although to be honest the gig wasn't one of my favourites looking back and listening to the album now i'm glad i went.

For anyone who likes complicated rock music played by amazing players its well worth checking out, possibly one of the best rythm section i've ver heard...

Webcast here for anyone with time to watch and a high speed connection: http://www.studiomlive.com/nearfest2k/transatlantic_fireworks.htm

Cheers

Stuart

I wish the DVD in Hmv was cheaper!

The live in America DVD is 21.99 at Marillion.com but you get the double CD as well so thats not bad, if you fancy it I have the video from the first tour they did if you'd like to borrow it dropome a line.

haven't watched it in agesa. hmmm, may put that on actually, worth it for some brilliant Beatles cpvers too...

Cheers

Stuart