aberdeen-music

bass

bitchesbrew

If I may observe' date=' two bass players I've seen I'd class as session players would be Stu Hamm and Billy Shehan. Both play fender. Both are highly technical.

[/quote']

But then, watch Steve Vai Live at the Astoria and witness both the aceness of Billy Sheehan and also, the shitness of his tone!

More importantly when talking about versatility of instruments, his tone got worse as he progressed through tapping and slap. Fender Schmender.

But then' date=' watch Steve Vai Live at the Astoria and witness both the aceness of Billy Sheehan and also, the shitness of his tone![/quote']

Yes I agree, bass distortion should be banned. My point was that yes indeedy fender basses are used by aceses bassists. Go watch satriani live with stu hamm now and tell me he's got shit tone.

But then' date=' watch Steve Vai Live at the Astoria and witness both the aceness of Billy Sheehan and also, the shitness of his tone!

More importantly when talking about versatility of instruments, his tone got worse as he progressed through tapping and slap. Fender Schmender.[/quote']

My last word on the subject....

There are only so many ways you can bolt together some tone woods, copper wire, magnets and other assorted components, but then something odd happens, the manufacturer sticks a transfer on the headstock and suddenly a percentage of the guitar playing world will do one of two things... 1/ pish themselves with excitement or 2/ shake their head and mumble "shit tone".

I personally dont care what the headstock says...all I know is that some of the best bass noises I have ever heard have emanated from guitars with Fender on the headstock...its that simple...but if you choose to ignore the biggest, longest established bass manufacturer in the world (who invented the electric bass by the way) because of some strange under lying prejudice toward fender then that my friend is you're loss...and a great one at that.

END.

Mark King of Level 42 would be another one that started on a fender but then left them because the basses couldn't give him the playability that he needed...

saying that he sure as hell stuck to the P/J bass style of body...

But isnt it odd how he chose to change guitars when his career was on a downward slope and after he had produced his best work....

Call me an old cynic but I think cash incentives may have been involved.

But who cares....

I think every guitar ever built has a place in the world and someone who will love it.. :up:

But isnt it odd how he chose to change guitars when his career was on a downward slope and after he had produced his best work....

Call me an old cynic but I think cash incentives may have been involved.

But who cares....

I think every guitar ever built has a place in the world and someone who will love it.. :up:

yeah that's true actually - but i'd still go see him play :)

i think also the change may have had something to do with the invention of active electronics? could be wrong there though :)

recently i took delivery of a brand new Fender Highway 1 J-Bass....(its replacing the flying v, i wanted something with a decent tone). it sounds incredible through my amp (Marshall VBA halfstack), and i'm very very happy with it. playability is amazing, standard J-bass set up, and it looks fucking gorgeous too. heavy neck? nah. perfect. the flying v was top heavy, fender is perfectly weighted. personal preference, i love the headstock.

talking about session basses, i personally don't see the need for 24 frets on a bass but if you're doing session work its maybe something to consider - probably the best idea to have as diverse a bass (or collection of basses) as possible to cover as much as possible.