aberdeen-music

Bloodstock travel

SeaOfEnergy

I recall looking into them a few years a go when I went and coming to the conclusion they were very expensive and not available from Aberdeen (at the time, this may have changed). The 3 years I went, I took a series of trains. Aberdeen - Birmingham (often changing at Edinburgh) then Birmingham - Lichfield City (there are two stations, so be careful). The Birmingham - Lichfield train is a local service, very efficent and only takes about 20 minutes or so.

The journey was quite bearable on the way there and it is possible to arrive in mid/early afternoon if you are efficient and set off early in the day. It typically starts off at Aberdeen, giving you an opportunity to put your luggage somewhere sensible and relax for the rest of the time. On the way back, the journey always seemed like a complete pain and it was a huge challenge to get a tent to successfully pack up properly, making the luggage into a nuisance. The train also doesn't start off at Birmingham on the way back, so there was already lot of people on the train and therefore increasingly difficult to get luggage to fit somewhere properly. I recall attending my luggage from a luggage car at the back of the train (the luggage racks aren't able to hold nearly enough if the train is busy), or sitting in a corridor when there wasn't seats.

The advantages of driving were also typically reduced each year. The first year I went (2007), there were cars on the camp site (I understand this is unusual at UK festivals) and it only took seconds for tickets to be checked and get through security upon arrival. The next year, they had to be parked in a separate car park. In 2009, there was a huge que to get in (multiple hours) and leaving all your stuff in a car and taking it in instalments appeared to provide less of an advantage as it still appeared to be necessary for bags to be 'searched' (I saw only limited evidence of any searching despite the long que). I hope/would assume they sorted this out since I went. I always enjoyed the festival greatly but each year there was a notable logistical error on part of the organisers. I haven't camped at any other festivals, so cannot say if it is better or worse from that perspective than anywhere else.

Did you not manage to get your train tickets? I'd be up for a minibus if it turns out cheaper - rather that than sitting in the corridor of the train like an ass on top of my luggage while people climb over me. Feel sorry for whoever has to drive though, haha. Let me know if you're gonna get one booked up. :)

HairyscaryMark: cheers buddy that is helpful to hear your experiences! i think we're gonna go for the train option seeing as the only organised coaches i can find are from glasgow and on the thursday and i think we just want to go down on the friday. I bet the way back will be a nightmare but for a weekend of death itl be worth the pain!! \m/

It's mainly the luggage on the way back that is a problem, the journey there is fine and it is fairly straight forward. I don't know how he is getting there but I know Joe from Thrashist Regime is going this year and also went last. Every year I went I think it also rained on the Monday morning when I was packing up, probably just coincidence lol. I always travelled there on the Thursday and that night was usually good banter.

I also found it possible to keep food and drink cool from Aberdeen on Thursday morning until at least Saturday using a cool bag and an ice pack. I was always surprised by this and managed to transport eggs each year without even breaking one. The cooking situation kept getting more heavily regulated each year also and probably wouldn't bother again if it was similar to when I last went.