aberdeen-music

Electric Kits to Recommend

Moose

I've been thinking about getting an electric kit recently so that I can practice the drums at home, but I know absolutely nothing about them. I want a decent, reliable one (obviously) but don't really want to pay >£800. Is this possible, and if so, what should I look at /try out?

Would that Roland kit be a lot better than a lower priced Yamaha, then? I've heard of folk getting electric kits for ~£500, which have ended up breaking/needing pads replaced very quickly. Do you think you need to spend an arm and a leg for it to be worthwhile. most of the kits on wembleydrumcentre are ober £1000.

I would defer to someone who knows more about electronic kits than me. I've just heard that the Yamahas are decent, but don't have much empirical evidence to back it up. Certainly you're operating at the "budget" end of the market, but I've no idea whether a cheap Roland is better than a cheap Yamaha....or vice versa.

Would that Roland kit be a lot better than a lower priced Yamaha, then? I've heard of folk getting electric kits for ~£500, which have ended up breaking/needing pads replaced very quickly. Do you think you need to spend an arm and a leg for it to be worthwhile. most of the kits on wembleydrumcentre are ober £1000.

Mate I've got a Roland kit at home. Got it second hand and it's ace. It's the Td-42 like in this link. Your welcome to come try it out. Better than Yamaha I would say personally:

http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=1151&c=60

I have the Roland HD1, its not the most realistic feeling kit but great for a bash about. The onboard sounds are terrible but if you hook it up to a PC via MIDI you can use some great sounding software like BFD/Addictive Drums...its a lot more playable with decent sounds. The only thing is that the kick drum is a pedal only, and not ideal (double beats are pretty hard, triplets, forget it)...I've got rid of this and use an old pedal with an old rubber kick drum practice pad, then built a trigger by taping a 50p pizeo to it and solder a TRS jack socket, then connect the kick lead there....best of both worlds now...

The HD1 has gone up in price, i picked mine up when they were 450, they may be a bit more now...

roland-hd-1-electronic-drum-kit-v-drums-lite.jpg