aberdeen-music

neurotoxin

Guest Stripey

I wrote another track this afternoon' date=' with a very dark feel to it, to suit the shitty weather.

Enjoy. (2.5mb mp3)

[url']http://www.neuscan.com/stripey--neurotoxin.mp3 (right click and save target as...to download)

The bass line that comes in at 1min sounds off-key to me. Is it a definite note, or a multi-frequency hum kinda thing? Doesn't quite sit, anyway. This one would sound great with a key change. Stick in a 7th chord somewhere, and modulate. Go on, give it a go...

Guest Stripey
The bass line that comes in at 1min sounds off-key to me. Is it a definite note' date=' or a multi-frequency hum kinda thing? Doesn't quite sit, anyway. This one would sound great with a key change. Stick in a 7th chord somewhere, and modulate. Go on, give it a go...[/quote']

Well spotted(heard?), i'd overlooked that in my haste... :rolleyes: the bass is in D and the rest is in D#. Might have a go at changing it and writing a 2nd half of sorts, see if i can do the key change thing...

Guest lime ruined my life

that opening synths a bit cheesey. with a bit of processing it could be sounding quite nice though.

i dont particularly like the 3 bongo hits at the end of the drum pattern, it might be good to vary the velocity of the bongos and maybe double them up with another pitched drum, i quite like the first bit, the snares a bit dull though. the bass drum could be a bit higher in the mix, maybe compressed some more.

thats what i think anyway.

Well spotted(heard?)' date=' i'd overlooked that in my haste... :rolleyes: the bass is in D and the rest is in D#. Might have a go at changing it and writing a 2nd half of sorts, see if i can do the key change thing...[/quote']

I was thinking a semi-tone out, but wasn't sure - it is quite hard to tell with those low throbby bass-lines you dnb lot seem to like so much...;)

Guest Stripey
Cool' date=' but sounds a little like the X-Files theme . I agree a key change would be nice, but that's still pretty interesting.[/quote']

Lol now that you mention it, i can see what u mean about x-files. That was unintentional ;)

Guest Stripey
that opening synths a bit cheesey. with a bit of processing it could be sounding quite nice though.

i dont particularly like the 3 bongo hits at the end of the drum pattern' date=' it might be good to vary the velocity of the bongos and maybe double them up with another pitched drum, i quite like the first bit, the snares a bit dull though. the bass drum could be a bit higher in the mix, maybe compressed some more.

thats what i think anyway.[/quote']

I was thinking of putting a bit of variation into the bongo bit which would go further than just 1 bar, there is some velocity and panning variation in the bongo but maybe its too subtle...I just wrote a 1 bar drum pattern and in my haste started on the synths. I kinda agree, the kick coulda had a little more impact...I just woke up and felt like shit and the weather was shit and i just slapped it together over a couple of hours, and thought "fuck it, it's done", it's certainly not a refined piece.

Thanks for having a listen.

Guest Stripey
Nice track even with the interesting bass ;)

I like the keyboard sound' date=' reminds me of Terry Riley.[/quote']

Thanks, but who is terry riley!? I used a new synth on this one for the first time, and I must say I really like it and will be using it all the time now.

Guest Stripey
I was thinking a semi-tone out' date=' but wasn't sure - it is quite hard to tell with those low throbby bass-lines you dnb lot seem to like so much...;)[/quote']

I just transposed the bass into the right key, and it does seem to sound a bit more complete.

http://www.neuscan.com/stripey--neurotoxic.mp3 is the new version. The only difference is the bassline is now in tune. I'm not gonna do anything more to the track.