aberdeen-music

Old school funk.

Guest Giles Walker

Yeah, you must be.

What classic old school funk from the 80s is worth checking out?

Apart from P-funk and Go Go i can't really think of much stuff tbh.

Yeah, you must be.

ConFunkShun, Cameo, Heatwave, Zapp, Kool & The Gang, The Bar-Kays, The Gap Band, The SOS Band etc. all had their biggest hits in the 80's.

The Minneapolis bands like Prince and The Revolution, The Time, Mazarati, Jesse Johnson's Revue, The Family, Madhouse, Vanity 6 were huge in that decade too.

Thanks to YouTube, I've found so much more 70's and 80's stuff that I've never heard but I do miss FOPP since it closed as it seemed to be the only shop in Aberdeen to cater for my sound as well as your more mainstream music.

Guest Giles Walker
ConFunkShun, Cameo, Heatwave, Zapp, Kool & The Gang, The Bar-Kays, The Gap Band, The SOS Band etc. all had their biggest hits in the 80's.

The Minneapolis bands like Prince and The Revolution, The Time, Mazarati, Jesse Johnson's Revue, The Family, Madhouse, Vanity 6 were huge in that decade too.

Thanks to YouTube, I've found so much more 70's and 80's stuff that I've never heard but I do miss FOPP since it closed as it seemed to be the only shop in Aberdeen to cater for my sound as well as your more mainstream music.

Fair enough, i classify a lot of the 80s stuff that doesn't fall into disco as 'R&B' in my dj crates so it is easier for me to play it out.

Means my funk crates are full of music that is a bit rougher round the edges.

Interested to know about ConFunkshun and Heatwave, what were the decent funky tunes they did? I have a couple of 7"s by both bands, but they were always a bit too smooth for me.

I am genuinely interested to hear decent 80s funk though.

You ever checked this band out?

Def Jam shelved their album, so only one 12" exists from back then.

P Funk Allstars - Hydraulic Pump (Sped up quite a bit for some reason)

Get some tunes in this thread already!!!

Fatback - On The Floor

The Chic album Take It Off has a more funk sound than their better known stuff: Chic - Burn Hard

The last Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson album, 1980, doesn't seem to be very popular, which is a shame because it's really good.

Apart from a few scattered bits and pieces like that, I guess you'd have to look at very early rap for an 80s source of funk or at least funk-style music:

- hmm, didn't realise this was from 1979...oh well. Still, more or less a funk band with rappers on top.

Guest Giles Walker

I think what i have realised from this thread is that my over complicated way of categorising music does not translate very well to the real world. The Fatback and Tom Browne tunes are in my 'Disco below 120bpm' folder and in my 'Disco' shelf on my wall.

Some tunes from my Funk crates.

Reuben Wilson - Got To Get Your Own (this is veering away from what i would class as funk tbh)

Lafayette Afro Rock...oh yea, I've actually got the 'Soul Makossa' lp on vinyl. Need to give it a dig out. The song ''Hihache'' (the best song on the album by far) has been sampled by Naughty By Nature, Digital Underground, LL Cool J, Biz Markie to name a few. Never quite took to 'Darkest Light' from the 'Malik' album

Also have a check of Betty Davis (Miles' ex second wife...not the actress) for some real gutbucket 70's funk. The 3 albums she had out between 1973 and 1975 are the bomb!!!

Wish I had the space, time and y'know luck to have been alive at the right time to collect vinyl, especially now I've managed to pick up a turntable. I think it was iTunes where I found Soul Makossa.

Wow Betty Davis is a find! No wonder with Greg Errico and Larry Graham and others on there.

I really do need to work backwards from Parliament/Funkadelic more. I seem to have found more stuff from people involved with them or following on from them, Junie Morrison, Roger Troutman etc.

Wish I had the space, time and y'know luck to have been alive at the right time to collect vinyl, especially now I've managed to pick up a turntable. I think it was iTunes where I found Soul Makossa.

Wow Betty Davis is a find! No wonder with Greg Errico and Larry Graham and others on there.

I really do need to work backwards from Parliament/Funkadelic more. I seem to have found more stuff from people involved with them or following on from them, Junie Morrison, Roger Troutman etc.

Check out the solo Bootsy and Rubber Band stuff, Sweat Band, Godmoma, Parlet, The Brides Of Funkenstein, Kiddo, Original P, Reggie Griffin, Garry Shider...there's so much to trawl through, I could spend the whole day listing bands to track down and have a listen to.

Also, give Slapbak a try, an up to date band who can certainly cut the mustard with the old school crowd.