aberdeen-music

Davey C Does Multiculturalism

Oedo 808

I think this is an interesting topic and I'm surprised DC has decided to take it on despite the obvious political mileage his opponents will make of it:

Labour accuses Cameron of lining up with extremists on multiculturalism - UK Politics, UK - The Independent

"Under the doctrine of state multiculturalism' date=' we have encouraged different cultures to live separate lives, apart from each other and the mainstream. We have failed to provide a vision of society to which they feel they want to belong. We have even tolerated these segregated communities behaving in ways that run counter to our values."[/quote']

I think that's an issue not just for "different cultures" but for everyone. I don't know if Britain has "a vision of a society". Do you?

Minorities in Scotland seem to have embraced our culture more than their counterparts in England (just a hunch) and investigating further I found that the commission for racial equality backs that up in their 2005 report. They found that minorities who lived in Scotland and Wales identified more closely with their chosen countries than those who lived in England. Does Scotland simply have a more clearly defined culture or are there other forces at work? A united antagonist in the form of Westminster Government? Something else?

Is British multiculturalism a failure and can we assert British values when they seem so intangible?

-----------------------------------------

I also thought a good question was raised on an issue I know some of you feel passionately about:

"I could support the concept of a 'muscular liberalism' where certain values are actively promoted, but will this be translated into action on, say, faith schools, which arguably impede social cohesion?"

Exactly. If we're going to go down the path David Cameron is setting out wouldn't banning faith schools be a good start?

it's a really interesting issue that has been once more handled in a rather hamfisted manner by a government and the press, all too scared to address it in a grown up way lest the debate be hijacked by extreme viewpoints.

i think it's right that we talk about ways to build a cultural focus for the uk that new citizens can buy into and feel a part of. it would fail if we just demanded they sing god save the queen and wave a union jack. i also think it's too simplistic to say that multiculturism has failed, the uk is already a country built on seperate cultures with the union of england, wales, scotland and northern ireland. it's been built on immigration and has been made richer with new religious, cultural and political views from foreign countries, if we say that immigrants should ditch their culture and beliefs when they move here then we're idiots who will lose part of what makes this country a great place to live already.

it's clearly not right to say that it has failed across the uk but perhaps more so in large cities, particularly the built up midlands where you have large areas dominated by ethnic minorities who have become more insular and genuinely has bred intolerence and suspicion within the communities of all ethnic background. we should be talking about ways to address this as it only serves the twisted aims of extremists in all camps, that's the real trick though. as soon as this issue is raised it's jumped on with suspicion from the press, opposition politicians and liberal commentators wary of curbs on immigration.

could be an interesting debate, we shall see how it pans out.

Exactly. If we're going to go down the path David Cameron is setting out wouldn't banning faith schools be a good start?

this is a good point. i'm not sure banning them is an answer as that could instill more anger within communities but controlling the curriculum and ensuring they have some independent religious education so that secularism is encouraged could work.

the new free schools are also a worry. particularly with the potential for teaching religious views as science, i'm looking at you creationism. fucking scary stuff.