aberdeen-music

80s UK punk

Guest allsystemsfail

Guest allsystemsfail
while I was into it back then' date=' cos I was only 6, fav bands would probably be

Crass

Chaos UK

Cress (are they that old??)

Doom

Discharge[/quote']

Hey there,

Cress were a 90s outfit. They were pretty cool. Got a chance to play with them, the band I was a part of back then supporting them in I think 1998 at the East Neuk. Jeeves arranged the gig. Saw them in Edinburgh and Glasgow too.

Oh, I thought Vomitus were cool on Friday. :up:

Guest allsystemsfail

What was your band called prolly saw you playing in East Neuk.

Collateral Damage. We played our first three Aberdeen shows at the East Neuk. Also our last. We played way better at Drakes' date=' particularly when we found a fourth member.

Bloodshot were another great band from Aberdeen around that time

Yeah, Bloodshot were great. Saw them twice in London with Scatha. Also at the Cellar with Active Minds. They put on lots of shows too. Did you ever catch vocalist Mark's other band Slain? Great great band. Vocalist Melanie played drums with Collateral.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I wasn't that big on that period. For me it saw the beginning of a downward slide - the scene becoming far less interesting musically. That said' date=' there were still folks putting out some cool shit around then - The Next World, City Indians, Culture Shock, Thatcher On Acid, and Life Cycle just a few.

Any recommendations regarding Disorder? I heard their material can be a bit hit or miss. I do have their Violent World/Live In Oslo CD, but didn't really like it.[/quote']

Best bet is probably "The Complete Disorder", which is a collection of early 7"'s. I had the CD, and got the vinyl version at the Boxed In gig so I can now get rid of the CD. Yours for the price of a pint on Monday if you're up for it. That and the "Perdition" 12" I think are the best, haven't heard their new stuff yet.

Downward slide in the late 80's? Well, I only got into it then, so I wll always have a soft spot for it as it really opened my eyes to the world as a naive 14-15 year old.

Guest allsystemsfail
Best bet is probably "The Complete Disorder"' date=' which is a collection of early 7"'s. I had the CD, and got the vinyl version at the Boxed In gig so I can now get rid of the CD. Yours for the price of a pint on Monday if you're up for it. That and the "Perdition" 12" I think are the best, haven't heard their new stuff yet.

Downward slide in the late 80's? Well, I only got into it then, so I wll always have a soft spot for it as it really opened my eyes to the world as a naive 14-15 year old.[/quote']

Yeah, I'd thought about picking that one up. Thanks for the recommendation. Yeah, that'd be cool. Thanks. Just take it along Monday.

:up:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Yeah' date=' I'd thought about picking that one up. Thanks for the recommendation. Yeah, that'd be cool. Thanks. Just take it along Monday.

:up:[/quote']

You got it, mate, see you Monday. Punk power.

80s punk eh? Years ago I would have spewed off a huge list but to tell you the truth, the more obscure bands from the 70s float my boat a bit more now....that said....always loved One Way System.....don't think their studio work ever equalled the live stuff I've heard. Loved Flux, although quite the oppositie to One Way System (and I believe they once support OWS at the 62 club?) they seemed to be an awful live band....Zounds are a firm favourite band of mine....seema bit more sussed politics wise, and great music to boot.....will always love CRASS although I fail to see how kids today could get into them??!? Dunno....

To be honest, when I look back now, the US must have offered way better punk bands back then...check Dischord records back then....and what did UK have,...Chaotic Dischord.....no thanks!!!! :D

Guest allsystemsfail
80s punk eh? Years ago I would have spewed off a huge list but to tell you the truth' date=' the more obscure bands from the 70s float my boat a bit more now....that said....always loved One Way System.....don't think their studio work ever equalled the live stuff I've heard. Loved Flux, although quite the oppositie to One Way System (and I believe they once support OWS at the 62 club?) they seemed to be an awful live band....Zounds are a firm favourite band of mine....seema bit more sussed politics wise, and great music to boot.....will always love CRASS although I fail to see how kids today could get into them??!? Dunno....

To be honest, when I look back now, the US must have offered way better punk bands back then...check Dischord records back then....and what did UK have,...Chaotic Dischord.....no thanks!!!! :D[/quote']

One Way System? I guess I never checked them out as I associated them with the street punk of the day - you know, The Exploited, Blitz, Abrasive Wheels etc, and god did I hate those bands.

About Flux - I do remember them playing a show (at the 62 Club) with Alternative, The System, and Andy T. Awful live? Hmmm... I think I'd disagree.

Yeah, Zounds were amazing, and it's great to see them now back together.

Regarding folks discovering Crass today - well, things punk are now very very different. The movement's politics have been ripped from it.

The US scene? I gotta disagree with you there. Sure, the UK scene threw up some appalling bands (and Chaotic Dischord was just one), but it also threw up folks such as Subhumans, Rubella Ballet, DIRT, The Cravats, Icons Of Filth, Zounds, The Mob, Poison Girls, Conflict, Rudimentary Peni, Flux, Lost Cherrees, Chumbawamba, Crass, Antisect... Personally (Dead Kennedys aside) I don't think the US oufits can compare.

Guest allsystemsfail
Hehe' date=' Bloodshot! must have been the coolest guys ever...I lost touch with all of them when they all quite rightfully departed from Aberdeen.....a part of me died then....[/quote']

Mark and Duane were actually here a few weeks ago. Mel too. Mark's now living in Glasgow. He has another band, though am not sure what it's called. He was also involved in a one off band too, supporting Tragedy a couple of months back.

Heard Mel is now a singer/songwriter, being chased by several record companies.

Guest allsystemsfail
Cmon there were tonnes of great US punk bands from the early 80's...Black Flag...Agnostic Front...Cro-Mags...Minor Threat...the list goes on.

Highly influential certainly, but really, I was never big on these folks. I always thought (and still do) that Minor Threat were way overrated. Black Flag? Their debut full length Damaged aside, I thought they were just... okay. Cro-Mags and Agnostic Front are outfits I don't know a great deal about, but from what I've read about AF, I don't think I'd like them. Sorry folks, but hardcore (while producing some cool bands) kinda leaves me cold.