aberdeen-music

Recording Devices for Practice

FatHand

I'm really tempted to get one of those mini recorders, Zoom H2 seems like a reasonably priced one. Just wondering if anyone on here has one and if they have any recommendations. Quite often I get tempted into spending more than I need to on a piece of gear so if the sound quality is good enough on this cheapest of the Zooms then great.

This is what it looks like:

zoom-h2-handy-recorder.jpg

My old man has one of those and uses it quite alot with acoustic-y stuff. With just a guitar and mandolin set up it sounds pretty good, and the stereo mix function on it is wicked, get a real sense of space with it. Dont know what sort of success he has had with a full band situation but he takes the thing everywhere with him!

My old man has one of those and uses it quite alot with acoustic-y stuff. With just a guitar and mandolin set up it sounds pretty good, and the stereo mix function on it is wicked, get a real sense of space with it. Dont know what sort of success he has had with a full band situation but he takes the thing everywhere with him!

Yeah, looks like the kind of size you could just slip in your pocket. The new one that's just come out looks pretty awesome but it's pretty much double the price. There are a heap more functions like the multi track ability but in reality I probably wouldn't use it. I'm looking for something to get reasonable quality recordings of band practices so we can hear the areas that need improved or tightened up. Also something for getting ideas down on the fly.

I have the H4, it's pretty smart although I haven't investigated the multi-track abilities yet ;)

Comes with Cubase LE too so not a bad deal.

Sound is very good with just the built-in mics, I'm sure the H2 would suit your purposes also.

Yeah, the H4 looks good (as does the new H4n). I'm kind of torn between saving up a bit longer for the bigger one or getting the more affordable one sooner and therefore the usefulness of it. I'm probably going to go with the H2, I like the fact it will just fit in my pocket ready for use any time. I can see a lot of use for it actually.

I use the Zoom H2, & love it. I researched them all, & was going to buy the Edirol, so I thought I'd be "Underwhelmed".

Total opposite, great features & sound, although you need to upgrade the souncards to give you max recording time, (6 Hours I think).

Your welcome to try mine out if you like.

P.M. Me.

I use the Zoom H2, & love it. I researched them all, & was going to buy the Edirol, so I thought I'd be "Underwhelmed".

Total opposite, great features & sound, although you need to upgrade the souncards to give you max recording time, (6 Hours I think).

Your welcome to try mine out if you like.

P.M. Me.

Think I may have a 2GB SD card just lying around my flat somewhere. Pretty excited about getting this.

Had looked at the Sony one and some of the other options but all I really want is the record function, don't need to do any real processing on the device. Think this one sounds ideal.