aberdeen-music

Jason Newsted Bass Solo 91?

The Newstead sound is usually emulated by using an Ampeg amplifier <or similier sound on a POD or other device> and a Chorus pedal. Mid range is boosted on the amp to fit in with the scooped mids of the Metallica guitar sound. What part of the solo is it your interested in or is it the whole thing? Oh yeah and JASON NEWSTEAD WOOO!

Edit 1: The wah he uses is a Morely Power Wah Boost which apprently belonged to Cliff Burton previously. The wah was also used with Flanger and Distortion being controlled by his bass tech at one point but again I think in the Load era. Also he used a Sans Amp by Tech 21 bass pre-amp/distortion pedal...apprently avaiable now as the Sans Amp Classic. This combination was used on the Justice tour which is in the same "Live Shit Bing & Purge Box Set" as the '91 show in seattle. Picture below.

Pedals.jpg

Jason more recently has had the following pedals in his set up(Summer Tour 2000):

MXR Phase 100 (orange pedal)

Boss BF-2 Flanger (dark purple pedal)

Boss CE-B3 Bass Chorus (blue pedal)

Tech 21 XXL Distortion (silver pedal)

Tech 21 SansAmp Bassdriver D.I. (black pedal)

newsted%2520rig.jpg

Edit 2: Listening/watching solo now. First bit is a variation on "My Friend Of Missery" sounds like maybe some chorus effect but only a smidge on a very clean bass sound...maybe compressed more. Next comes the crowd shouting bit which just sounds clean again with some mid-y punch/compression. Next comes the Morely Power Wah section...this could have flange over it...but he's def. using that wah pedal. Then it's back to clean and some wah later on.

I like chorus as it's not really that obvious it's there when used by the lieks of Newstead. Of course you've got to get some distortion in sometimes as well....and occasionally some reverb or delay can had a nice touch to the sound. Other than that I don't really buy into bass effects much...or guitar effects for that matter.