aberdeen-music

Woodend Barn last night

Alan Cynic

I enjoyed last night's Sarah McQuaid/Pamela Wyn Shannon gig a lot....nice atmosphere, good sound and some exceptional guitar playing by both artists.

If you like Nick Drake/Pentangle/Espers/Davy Graham etc then come along to Pamela's gig at the Tunnels on the 6th November.

Here's what folk have said about her latest album...

"Sheer Beauty...Shannon's guitar playing has been rightly compared to that of Bert Jansch and this album evokes the Neo-Renaissance explorations of bands like Pentangle..."

- SING OUT! Magazine

"This is a very special, seriously beautiful album, which also has the measure of a personal artistic statement: one of considerable power, originality and vision."

- fROOTS MAGAZINE

"A Most Beautiful Album...(Pamela's) singing is gentle and sensitive, and (she) creates a lovely and slightly strange atmosphere - but also occasionally a very unsettling one - that last verse of Cold Blows the Wind made me shiver. I loved Netherworld, and the subtle insistence of the arrangement. And of course I loved Ca' The Yowes - the sitar so haunting and so appropriate, curiously enough. (Pamela's) version of the song is utterly lovely, so sweetly poignantIt was one of the mother's and my grandmother's favourite songs, and we sang it a lot at home when I was growing up."

- SHIRLEY COLLINS