imp: Baby Dee + Paul Curreri + Black Carrot @ The Tunnels

offramp

interesting music promotions present

BABY DEE + PAUL CURRERI + BLACK CARROT

Tuesday 25th November 2008

The Tunnels, Carnegies Brae, Aberdeen AB10 1BF. Phone 01224 211121

Doors 8.00pm

Tickets 8.50+bf in advance / 10 on door

Available from One-Up Records, Belmont Street, Aberdeen. Phone (01224) 642662 or http://www.ticketweb.co.uk

http://www.thetunnels.co.uk

http://www.myspace.com/interestingmusic

baby_dee_poster.jpg

BABY DEE

Baby Dee is an American performance artist and singer/songwriter. She is a musician and transgender street legend from Cleveland who has worked with Antony and the Johnsons and many other artists on the New York scene, as well as international artists like Marc Almond. She has also toured extensively with Current 93, playing piano and harp. Expect some Kurt Weil type renditions & some fireworks of outpouring emotion from this truly one-off artist......

http://www.myspace.com/theonlybabydee

PAUL CURRERI

His acclaimed debut for City Salvage Records, From Long Gones To Hawkmoth, was released in 2002 (Curreri is full of taste and truth, poetic jewels. 9X Magazine). A triumphant follow-up, 2003s Songs For Devon Sproule produced by Kelly Joe Phelps was hailed by Vintage Guitar Magazine as one of the very finest records in awhile. And, I dont mean just in this genre. I mean, any genre. 2004s The Spirit of the Staircase found Curreri continuing to shoulder into new lyrical and musical terrain (Curreri has sculpted a direction of his own. Dexterous guitar work and hushed insight, full of soul and originality. " Americana-UK). With clarity of vision, & astoundingly visceral playing & singing, 2006s Are You Going To Paul Curreri captured him stretching out in front of a live audience, electric and rocking. Now married to the legendary Devon Sproule, Paul is releasing his 5th Album to conicide with this UK tour.

http://www.myspace.com/paulcurreri

BLACK CARROT

Black Carrot are a vibrant quintet who perform new-wave krautrock jazz madness that oozes rock with a psychotic edge. Fierce and abstract yet serving the concept of the song, their unique sound nods towards Beefheart and Pere Ubu, & but is shot through with flavours of New York jazz skronk, and the loosest, funkiest Krautrock. Black Carrot release their second studio album "Drink The Black Forest" on Tin Angel Records on 3rd November 2008. To support the release initially they will be playing UK tour support for Baby Dee throughout late November early December in addition to their own headline shows in the Midlands and London. They have had support slots with Faust, The Fall, Polar Bear, Damo Suzuki, Evan Parker, The Blessing, Chris Corsano, Kling Klang, Das Pop, plus many festival dates.....

"Black Carrot are truly inspired musicians" (Jean Herv Peron/Faust)

http://www.myspace.com/theblackcarrot

• 5 weeks later...

Not long now folks.

I think this is going to be an enthralling experience.

HERE IS A SHORT AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL SOMETHING WRITTEN ON THE OCCASION OF THE COMPLETION OF THE ALBUM SAFE INSIDE THE DAY FOR DRAG CITY.

I was born in Cleveland Ohio. This album is very much about the street I grew up on.

Where The Earlie King ruled without mercy. And Bobby Slot and Freddy Weiss invented the Dance of Diminishing Possibilities.

I left for New York in 1972 and eventually became a musician. I was good at the sacred and I was good at the profane but I could never get the hang of anything in between and I went from the street to the church to the street again and then I stopped.

I found myself back in Cleveland and began to write songs.

And then I stopped writing songs. I thought I had said everything I had to say and there was nothing left to say so I simply stopped.

And then I remembered Bobby Slot and Freddy Weiss and my own father and all the little ghosts that lived with us and I realized that there was something left to say after all.

The inside is bigger than the outside, more important, and less destructible.

Many mansions and all that.

Kingdom of god.

I love everybody

Dee

So, we're gonna do a 'mailing list only discount entry' offer for this gig.

Issued tomorrow.

MySpace.com - interesting music promotions - Aberdeen, Scotland, UK - Alternative / Electronica / Experimental - www.myspace.com/interestingmusic

forgot to post this here

Its fitting that our esteemed headline guest is one of the main attractions @ the

great great Sandy Denny tribute night in London

Queen Elizabeth Hall London

Monday 1 December 2008, 7.30pm

The Lady: A Tribute to Sandy

In the 30 years since her death, Sandy Denny has emerged as one of the UK's greatest singer-songwriters. A very special line up of artists including former colleagues and young admirers re-interpret her songs in this very special tribute showcasing her work with Fairport Convention, Fotheringay and her solo career.

Line-up includes -

Members of Bellowhead

Marc Almond

Baby Dee

Jim Moray

Martin Carthy

Kamila Thompson

Lisa Knapp

Dave Swarbrick

PP Arnold

Johnny Flynn

Jerry Donahue

Florence and the Machine

Sam Carter

Mary Epworth

http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/mus...to-sandy-43399

Baby Dee live review from earlier this year.

Interesting.

:up:

Baby Dee, Bush Hall, London - Reviews, Music - The Independent

Baby Dee, Bush Hall, London

(Rated 4/ 5 )

By Alasdair Lees

Monday, 31 March 2008

Baby Dee, to put it mildly, is a massively hard sell. A 54-year-old male-to-female transsexual built like a rugby-union prop-forward (she's a former tree surgeon) and sporting a wild frizz of carrot curls, she plays perilously close to being disregarded as a Coney Island freak-show turn, which, indeed, she once was. That she named herself after a friend's neighbour's "retarded child" and has been championed, and produced, by Will Oldham (who has a perverse sense of humour at the best of times), also prompts a raising of the eyebrows.

Then, of course, there's the voice, and the stage manner, a kind of hellish amalgam of Jake Thackray, Kevin Coyne and Monty Python's nude organist. Anyone who counts Harry Ruby who wrote "Hooray for Captain Spaulding" for Groucho Marx and medieval Gregorian plainchant as inspirations, is a pretty rum live prospect.

Brought up in Cleveland, Ohio, the "mistake by the lake" immortalised as a Midwest dead zone in the film American Splendor, Baby Dee is a creation that the sex-obsessed Robert Crumb, a Cleveland homeboy, could have dreamt up on a very bad day.

But as fans and collaborators such as Marc Almond standing next to me would no doubt attest, there's a rare and genuine artist lurking behind all the Tod Browning shtick. Breezing boozily between piano and harp, she makes an unsettling, but rather wonderful, whoopee out of songs from her latest album, Safe Inside the Day, and the earlier The Robin's Tiny Throat. In between the cackling and the asides ("I like squeezy bits!", and something about fellating herself), songs such as "Big Titty Bee Girl (from Dino Town)", which extols the virtue of keeping an albino around the house, astonish: "You can poop on his pie/ You can piss in his sink/ And even if you spit in his eye/ He'll still be in the pink".

But the neo-Tin Pan Alley routines, for all their all genuinely unnerving entertainment value, aren't perhaps the real draw here. The intricate baroque folk of songs such as "Small Wonder" ("I hid my aces in a widow's lap") and "Black but Comely" both played on the harp have a mystery and sense of terror that call to mind Emily Dickinson. Her talented band, which includes the Scottish drummer Alex Neilson, and Devon Sproule's husband, Paul Curreri, on guitar, fleshes out the detailed melodies. Freak or unique? Unique.

quote from above

But the neo-Tin Pan Alley routines, for all their all genuinely unnerving entertainment value, aren't perhaps the real draw here. The intricate baroque folk of songs such as "Small Wonder" ("I hid my aces in a widow's lap") and "Black but Comely" both played on the harp have a mystery and sense of terror that call to mind Emily Dickinson. Her talented band, which includes the Scottish drummer Alex Neilson, and Devon Sproule's husband, Paul Curreri, on guitar, fleshes out the detailed melodies. Freak or unique? Unique.

will certainly be unique :up: