aberdeen-music

The Shield

Johnny Mac

I've watched series 1 through 6 and this thread has inspired me to log onto EZTV tonight and download Series 7.

It's a strange program in many respects - on one hand you have the very realistic depiction of a chaotic police station, juxtaposed with the gritty and dangerous street life in the Farmington District ghetto it serves - with superb urban camera work as well.

On the other hand, you have the quite ludicrous plotting around the Strike Team's extra-curricular activities, where they get into the most seemingly unrecoverable situations, then some fantastic deus ex machina appears and it's all back to normal.

IMHO not as good as the uber-realistic and brilliantly scripted The Wire, but more watcheable and very, very entertaining.

On the other hand, you have the quite ludicrous plotting around the Strike Team's extra-curricular activities, where they get into the most seemingly unrecoverable situations, then some fantastic deus ex machina appears and it's all back to normal.

I agree with this. Having them shoot a cop in the first series was fine as the whole programme kind of revolved around that, but having them do something progressively crazier each week got a bit ridiculous a few seasons in.

I was raging after episode 9 last night.... when he arrests Lem after he realises they've seen him with his ex wife in the interrogation room.

I understand it all gets a whole lot worse before the end of the season.... will finish it this week.

Gripping stuff.

It is - I've just downloaded Series 7 and will be converting it to MP4, putting on a PSP memory stick and playing it through the PS3 onto the telly.

Like I said in an earlier post, The Shield would be a near-perfect cop show if they dispensed with the stupid Mission Impossible-style scenarios that the Strike Team get into - or at least made those plot lines more believable.

What's everyone's fave line from the show?

Mine is in an early episode...there's a commotion on the street where a decent, hard-working black shopkeeper is blasting some hookers with water from a fire hose to get them away from his shopfront.

When the cops ask what the hell he's doing.....

"Just hosin' down the hoe's" - gold!

It is - I've just downloaded Series 7 and will be converting it to MP4, putting on a PSP memory stick and playing it through the PS3 onto the telly.

Can PS3s not play Divx files directly? That sounds like an affa hassle, there will of course inevitably be a degredation in quality during the conversion process too.

Personally I just connect my laptop up to my LCD telly. :up:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...