MitchPact

Ablach Demo 2008.

ablach.jpg

Tracklisting:

1. Bootlicker

2. An Unforgiving Disposition

3. Fir Alban

4. Jus Primae Noctis

Buy It Here: MySpace.com - Ablach - Aberdeen / Obar Dheathain, UK - Grindcore / Punk / Metal - www.myspace.com/ablach <- Top of the 'About Ablach' section.

Some Reviews:

From: collective-zine.co.uk - Reviewer: Kunal Nandi 08/08/08

This top-notch, short but sweet first effort from ex-Filthpact people is more of the same crustified grind. The lyrics have a particular bent towards themes of Scottish heritage and identity, and as such come in both Gaelic and English, providing definite food for thought for this listener. Musically, anyone looking for an adrenalin pumping way to spend 330 seconds could do much worse, the catchy rocking riffs often accelerating into an overwhelmingly blurred grind attack, complemented nicely by the two vocalists, one who goes deep and one that shrieks his head off.

The Devil lives in Scotland - not Hell, and he speaks English and some Gaelic, not backwards. Also, he's quite fond of grinding hardcore and not exclusively metal as some will have you believe. How do I know this? I've got this Ablach demo to tell me.

There's a lot of metal in this grinding hardcore, but that doesn't mean the tracks are long and symphonic - quite the opposite. The four tracks on here only last for five and a half minute and if you ask me it wouldn't have hurt with a couple of tracks/minutes more either. (Napalm) Death metal and grindcore in a somewhat crusty hardcore symbiosis where it's easy to use the old run-over-by-a-tank-alt.

-freight-train comparison and that's not too bad is it?

Ablach uses brute force and ferocious speeds to convince me why I should let this disc play on repeat for a while, and I must confess I have a hard time arguing against it.

A short but sweet, and powerful, explosion!

From: cappunishment.org - Reviewer: xLordSummerislex 25/05/08

Ablach is Gaelic for mangled carcass, and if that doesn't give you a clue what they sound like, then the fact they're comprised of several former members of crusty grinders Filthpact along with member of Aberdonian death metallers Bonesaw should give the game away. Dual vocalled brutal grind's the name of the game, and they do it well. Not as raw, and a bit more metal than Filthpact, kind of reminiscent of earlier Brutal Truth & Napalm Death- dual vocals with a high and low register, blast beats a plenty with only the occasional slower, chuggy parts for respite. None of the songs over stays their welcome, with the whole thing being done and dusted in just over five minutes.

The lyrics are worthy of a mention- they focus on Scottish culture & history, such as our cultural amnesia on our original inhabitants and clansmen who fought with the British government, which is way more thoughtful than what most bands slop up, especially grind bands (come on, does anyone think gore lyrics are shocking in this day and age? Carcass did it better almost 20 years ago!). They also take pains to stress their lyrical point of view is merely commentary, and not based in any nationalistic beliefs, which is good, given how in certain circles "pride in their northern European origins" is a euphuism for being a racist. So, all in all, a great start- it certainly makes me want to see them live- given the experience of the band members (Filthpact toured like maniacs), I'm sure they'll destroy.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Jan from Agathocles has got his copy now, but the Ag bassplayer recently committed suicide so I'll post up feedback further down the line after he gets round to listening to it.

Not :up:, R.I.P. Tony Ag/Permanent Death.