aberdeen-music

Best 'live' and full band recording facilities in north east?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

if anyone's needing more help reading this thread listen to the tracks on this link from these white, dutch dudes:

Releases*by Lefties Soul Connection.

and tell me what makes them sound different to any local band's output that you've heard, then tell me where I can go to get a recording that sounds like it

That should be fine to make it like that, but its not just the drums, no real distortion on the guitar etc so as long as your sound will work with this style then I dont see a problem.

if anyone's needing more help reading this thread listen to the tracks on this link from these white, dutch dudes:

Releases by Lefties Soul Connection.

and tell me what makes them sound different to any local band's output that you've heard, then tell me where I can go to get a recording that sounds like it

Rather good that. Pretty much any studio with a seperate control room and live room could reproduce that sound for you. We certainly could, the byre could, exile too I shouldn't wonder.

We have a seperate vocal booth where you could put down a live vocal coincident with the band for a live vibe. But so does the byre who are closer to you, curse them!!!

Have you ever noticed that most recordings these days (even the good ones) sound shit? Is it because of close miking or tacky production or both? Why does every recording up to 1980 sound great, and why does it actually sound like a real band? Does anybody know anywhere in the north east, or at the very least in scotland, that is genuinely capable of 'room' recordings, who will be able to put 3 mics on my drum kit and make it sound like a shit hot, soulful beast? i'm guessing that the studios who get comissioned to do 'big band' or classical recordings would know their shit when it came to this...any ideas?

I would say your opinion is due to the use of digital recording and mixing techniques and away from the old buzzy analogue. I do prefer the retro sound myself, but if you listen to say a classic zepplin track you can hear extreme buzzes etc. and drums out of time but that made the music back then - like recording john bonham in a lift shaft for the levee brakes.

You just have to strive to keep it pure, and try steer clear of the timbaland style recordings, I guess, even if its what the mainstream audience want, all popular music has an audience at some stage; I know people who would say the opposite of your opinion as well

p.s. ow yeah if it still sounds bad just whap it through a roland tape echo :p